SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to make a quick update....

i love my alkatronic! it took a little trial and error to really get used to it. my biggest issue was getting the alka was to get it online but once i did its been great. i bought a gallon of reagent that will last me a year+. the alka actually already saved my butt when i forgot to top off my kalk reservoir and my alkalinity dropped from 8.5 to 7 in a day.

im glad i went with the alkatronic instead of dipping my toes in the fiasco that is the "trident". people still cant get there hands on a trident and its been months. im not saying i will never get a trident ( im already well invested in apex) but at least the alkatronic will hold me over for a few years until i have the itch to change gear in the tank

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your tank is mature and stable you won’t need either one of them. Reefers have been very successful with just dosing pumps or calcium reactor.

Of course nobody needs any of the alk monitoring solutions, but they sure are nice to have. OP even gave an example of how it helped when their kalk ran out - no amount of system maturity or stability would have alerted them of that issue. I still run pH, temp, and salinity probes even though things are stable because I want to know if something changes and requires my attention.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course nobody needs any of the alk monitoring solutions, but they sure are nice to have. OP even gave an example of how it helped when their kalk ran out - no amount of system maturity or stability would have alerted them of that issue. I still run pH, temp, and salinity probes even though things are stable because I want to know if something changes and requires my attention.

I agree once a tank matures parameters really don’t change frequently and a alkalinity monitor is not a necessity but like any control it is an insurance policy for our tanks.

To be honest after the first day the thrill of a alkalinity monitor completely goes away. As long as it does what you need it to you really don’t think about it at all

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Interested only because - I'm thinking about buying one - but I keep thinking why? because it's interesting? There is no documentation (and surprisingly from the manufacturers) that a 'stable' alk' within a 'certain range' is beneficial.. Seems to me that would be their study to do....... @Thales?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested only because - I'm thinking about buying one - but I keep thinking why? because it's interesting? There is no documentation (and surprisingly from the manufacturers) that a 'stable' alk' within a 'certain range' is beneficial.. Seems to me that would be their study to do....... @Thales?

I haven't seen that claim, so I don't know who should support it!
IMO, stable isn't really what I care about within reason, I want to make sure the alk is always available. I have seen tanks success wax and wane seemingly due to alk depletion.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back