Waiting Period?

kstaley12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I‘m getting back into the hobby after 9 years away and am ready to cycle my new Reefer with Fritz Turbo start. My question is do I need to wait a specified amount of time between the Turbo Start and when I dose ammonia? Thank you in advance for your time!

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a Fritz representative atNY Rap one day. Waited three days because my LFS was closed and added two clownfish in a 20 gallon tank. That was 4 months ago and the clownfish are still doing well

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the ammonia then the turbostart.
This makes the most sense. It’s how it’s done in nature. Bacteria won’t populate unless there is a food source (ammonia). Not the other way around.

But in the long run, it won’t matter. Your tank will be cycled <1week regardless of which order you do it.

Upvote 0

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cycle with fish when ammonia is dirt cheap and just as effective! Cycling with fish is poor form! Save the fish the insult of a high ammonia and nitrite environment.

I don’t think it matters which one you add first. As long as there is live bacteria (fritz) and a food source (ammonia), nature will do the rest.

Upvote 0

weird reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag of live sand and some damsel death....then patients...recipe I've used for 20 years haha....grim but has always kicked the cycle into high gear...good luck!!! Hope all goes well

Upvote 0

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cycle with fish when ammonia is dirt cheap and just as effective! Cycling with fish is poor form! Save the fish the insult of a high ammonia and nitrite environment.

I don’t think it matters which one you add first. As long as there is live bacteria (fritz) and a food source (ammonia), nature will do the rest.

With fritz turbo start you will never see an ammonia spike unless you start with way to much fish per gallon or something

Upvote 0

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have always cycled with crabs and fish. Never insulted one or lost one lol.

Upvote 0

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag of live sand and some damsel death....then patients...recipe I've used for 20 years haha....grim but has always kicked the cycle into high gear...good luck!!! Hope all goes well
Have you actucally had a a fish die to ammonia posioning? Unless you start with like a 5 gallon even old school no starter bacteria or anything the thought was it would be uncomfortable for the fish but fish shouldn't die

The only things Ive ever had actually die to detectable ammonia is Brine shirmp or rotifers,
or clown fish fry when I tried that.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back