wakeboardgeek's rimless SPS build

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome! What do u plan on doing to keep those wrasses in the water? when people go with a rimless setup with wrasses I always wonder how people accomplish that.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome! What do u plan on doing to keep those wrasses in the water? when people go with a rimless setup with wrasses I always wonder how people accomplish that.

So no carpet surfing occurs, I'm planning on using 1/4" netting. With a floating canopy, I'm hoping the netting won't be too much of an eye sore.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see the pics of how you do it with rimless. I've got the clear netting over my tank and it looks great but I have the rim around top for it to sit where rimless I believe doesn't have that rim.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see the pics of how you do it with rimless. I've got the clear netting over my tank and it looks great but I have the rim around top for it to sit where rimless I believe doesn't have that rim.

I'm planning on having the netting frame just outside the glass (so the edge of the net is on the glass). I'll have to post pics when I get this done. Obviously if it doesn't work out or my wife complains it's too much of an eye sore, then I'll have to relook at the fish list.

reefer55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is resealed! A water test will occur this weekend once the silicone cures.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Stoked!! That tank is gonna be sick can't wait to see it bro!

"You might be a firefighter if your kids are scared to get in a water fight with you"

Go Gators!!!

Christian

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing something similar for my rimless. I lost a radiant wrasse the other day due to no top. I'm going to get some clips that will allow the frame to sit just below the rim of the tank and I'll build the frame out of acrylic. Hopefully it won't take much away from the rimless look.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing something similar for my rimless. I lost a radiant wrasse the other day due to no top. I'm going to get some clips that will allow the frame to sit just below the rim of the tank and I'll build the frame out of acrylic. Hopefully it won't take much away from the rimless look.

Sorry to hear about your radiant wrasse. Let us know how your netting turns out.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test passed and the tank will be coming into the house this weekend.

I've also set up a temporary water making station until I get a chance to build the final water making station.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in place! Hope to get it scaped and cycling before the weekend.

tank_in_house.jpg

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of leds are those? And do you know if that brand carries a 420nm strip?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple fish jump from my rimless tank and also had a major problem with fish splashing water out everyday, I ended up buying a piece of acrylic and cutting the middle out and siliconed it to the top of the tank leaving a 1.5 inch lip all the way around. It doesn't look as nice as rimless, but much better than netting. Ive had it like this for a while now, and haven't had a fish jump or any water splash out even when using a magfloat. I have a wrasse and goby among others.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple fish jump from my rimless tank and also had a major problem with fish splashing water out everyday, I ended up buying a piece of acrylic and cutting the middle out and siliconed it to the top of the tank leaving a 1.5 inch lip all the way around. It doesn't look as nice as rimless, but much better than netting. Ive had it like this for a while now, and haven't had a fish jump or any water splash out even when using a magfloat. I have a wrasse and goby among others.

why is it better than netting?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back