waking up to dead fish

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a big problem for the last 2 weeks evey morning i get up I find a fish or 2 dead did a have tank water changed even clean out my 304 filter with new filter pads and so on even been testing the water PH level ammonia nitrite nitrate eveything on that behavet could anyone let me know what could be the problem or what i could be doing wrong

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank? What were the parameters? And can you post a full tank white light picture? That will help everyone with diagnosis

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give more details
1 full water parameters
2 How old is your Tank
3 stocking of fish
4 live rock or dry rock

You say you removed filter pads to clean or bin ? You have good bacteria over foam pads

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
having a big problem for the last 2 weeks evey morning i get up I find a fish or 2 dead did a have tank water changed even clean out my 304 filter with new filter pads and so on even been testing the water PH level ammonia nitrite nitrate eveything on that behavet could anyone let me know what could be the problem or what i could be doing wrong
cause will be water quality or disease. How are you testing water?
Any loss of appetite or heavy breathing you have noticed?
What type of tank and filters are you using?
Any swimming at surface, in front of flow youve noticed?

OP
OP
jramosnyc1

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no not a new tank been going for 2 years never had a problem untill now 30 gl

Attachments

• fishtank 2.jpg
    fishtank 2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
jramosnyc1

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cause will be water quality or disease. How are you testing water?
Any loss of appetite or heavy breathing you have noticed?
What type of tank and filters are you using?
Any swimming at surface, in front of flow youve noticed?
well i dont think its the water because i test the water 2 time a week and everything is fine useing API saltwater master kit to test the water have 2 fluval 306 filter running and 2 protein skimmers running also but i have notice heavy breathing if its a disease how could i fix the problem ????

Attachments

• fishtank 2.jpg
    fishtank 2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
jramosnyc1

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Can you show a tank pic? How many gallons is the tank? How many fish in the tank?

Need more info to help, and pics really help too.
its been running for 2 years with no problem untill now 30gl fish total is 7 was 10 well i dont think its the water because i test the water 2 time a week and everything is fine useing API saltwater master kit to test the water have 2 fluval 306 filter running and 2 protein skimmers running also but i have notice heavy breathing if its a disease how could i get rid of the problem

Attachments

• fishtank 2.jpg
    fishtank 2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 97

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an ell in the tank? Ell like to go after fish in small areas. Small tank for all your the fish and ell IMO. Also, the LR looks like it was just added to the tank? Looks like a lot of stuff going on in such a small space. By chance, any possible leaking current from your heater or pumps?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You appear to have two species of clownfish in the same small space. They may have hit maturity and started to bully the other fish. I would also be concerned that the driftwood might be leaching something.

What are the water parameters exactly? Ammonia, nitrate, salinity, temperature. Note that API is a notoriously inaccurate kit.

Do you use RO water or tap water? What salt mix? Is there any chance the new water was contaminated?

Film a 10-20sec clip of one of the heavy breathing fish, under white lights, and post it here.

How /are/ your rocks that white? Do you scrub or bleach them? Are they new?

OP
OP
jramosnyc1

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an ell in the tank? Ell like to go after fish in small areas. Small tank for all your the fish and ell IMO. Also, the LR looks like it was just added to the tank? Looks like a lot of stuff going on in such a small space. By chance, any possible leaking current from your heater or pumps?
yes it is what does IMO mean no theres no leaking currently from the heater or pumps everthing working fine what do you suggest I do

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a big problem for the last 2 weeks every morning i get up I find a fish or 2 dead…
Sounds like a lot of fish died, but then you state that only 3 died?
As others have mentioned, live rock is too white! Seems like too many fish for 30g

OP
OP
jramosnyc1

jramosnyc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You appear to have two species of clownfish in the same small space. They may have hit maturity and started to bully the other fish. I would also be concerned that the driftwood might be leaching something.

What are the water parameters exactly? Ammonia, nitrate, salinity, temperature. Note that API is a notoriously inaccurate kit.

Do you use RO water or tap water? What salt mix? Is there any chance the new water was contaminated?

Film a 10-20sec clip of one of the heavy breathing fish, under white lights, and post it here.

How /are/ your rocks that white? Do you scrub or bleach them? Are they new?
i appreciate you reaching out the water parameter are up to date so far good what product do you suggest i use to test the water i use RO water seen pic for the brand of salt i use i use bleach and scrub to clean my rock been doing it for years never had a problem up untill now SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO ????

Attachments

• fish breathing.mp4
    21.7 MB
  • salt.jpg
    salt.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 92

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
well i dont think its the water because i test the water 2 time a week and everything is fine useing API saltwater master kit to test the water have 2 fluval 306 filter running and 2 protein skimmers running also but i have notice heavy breathing if its a disease how could i fix the problem ????
API kit notorious for false readings and i encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no coloration to the rock and no coloration to the sand this is a brand new setup with too many additions. Just not possible even without light to have no color change to both. Even without feeding this is not possible. Guessing troll post.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back