Wall color behind tank

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I place the upgrade 130G against the wall I want to paint the wall a color that could serve two purposes, a bold accent color for the dining room/foyer, and a “background” for the tank which will be a mixed reef. I’ve seen a few tanks with a clear back, which is what I have, and they pull of the look very well. Any color suggestions?

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pondering that issue now, currently off white but get alittle reflecion and scatter so was thinking of maybe a light tan or maybe a gray to compliment all the blue

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paint the back of my tanks black. I find it adds depth and provides a nice contrast to the colors of the animals.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the clear back because I loved the look on Broadfields tank, but it was a fail. It failed for two reasons: 1) red sea reefer overflow is too dominating on their small tanks casting HUGE shadows and 2) if the wall is in shadow I don't think it works.

People who have T5 or whole length lights have an equal light on the whole wall and it looks great. If the lighting alternates due to LED pucks or not enough spread, I don't think it works that well IMO. I think consistent lighting (bright or dark) really helps.

A clear back also asks that you scrape the coraline off.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are talking about painting the wall behind the tank, not the tank itself. If i got it wrong correct me but i think this is a great subject to properly frame the tank in the room

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
865a70f19f1964132786aaac687a5064.jpg

So this is where the next stand and tank will go. Everything you see now will be in the stand. It is a coast to coast overflow on the wall side so no shadows from overflow will interfere.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote a shaded red as that's what I had behind an old clear back tank.... :) The diffusion from the water caused the wall to darken behind the tank ;)

Tank7.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some nice setups with tiled walls behind the tank if that is an option. That will allow the tile portion to focus more on the tank and still allow you to paint the rest of the "focal" wall to match the rest of the house.

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tech that accompanies his hobby amazes me...

The LED planet does look cool. Not sure if it will work as good for a reef tank thou

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with tanks that do not have painted backs is that water splashes out and is kinda difficult to clean properly when it's up against a wall. Personally, I spray paint the backs of my tanks to eliminate that problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back