Wall Hammer / Tank Transfer Gone Wrong

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just transferred my tank but unfortunately during the transfer my heater malfunctioned in the night and cooked my hammer…

I am away at work and my girlfriend sent me these, sorry about the blue light.

I think the heat was in the 90’s…. I lost a clown and dragonet and a few other corals so far…

Is it too far gone? How do I heal it?

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3886.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not. How soon can you correct or lower the temp?

Or have another bucket w saltwater to put it into?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unplug the heater if not already done, and float some frozen water bottles in the tank or sump. If you don't have bottles ready you can use some ice cubes in ziplock bags, preferably double bagged for some extra insurance against leakage. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could survive... cool it off like pepole said but don't transfer it to some cold water. That will just hurt it more.
Unplug the heater if not already done, and float some frozen water bottles in the tank or sump. If you don't have bottles ready you can use some ice cubes in ziplock bags, preferably double bagged for some extra insurance against leakage. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Maybe not. How soon can you correct or lower the temp?

Or have another bucket w saltwater to put it into?
I cooled the tank down immediately. This is day two and a half. I turned down my lights as well but it’s retracted even more since yesterday even with the corrected temperature

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cooled the tank down immediately. This is day two and a half. I turned down my lights as well but it’s retracted even more since yesterday even with the corrected temperature
I'm not experienced enough to know if turning the lights down is good or bad, but it seems as if you've done all you can at this point. I'd give it at least a couple of weeks so long as there's no signs of it continuing to decline past the point of no return. Hopefully it turns out well.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gotta wait it out now. Fingers crossed, but I would just prepare mentally for it to be a goner.
This stuff happens if you are in the hobby long enough.

I know now is not the time to hear this, but this is what makes you into an "experienced reefer".

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

it’s mouth is now closed and more polyps are starting to cover it. I’m getting a little more extensions but it is still very weak.

I took a soft toothbrush and brushed away algae and gunk from its skeleton so more polyps can extend without getting agitating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 49

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

it’s mouth is now closed and more polyps are starting to cover it. I’m getting a little more extensions but it is still very weak.

I took a soft toothbrush and brushed away algae and gunk from its skeleton so more polyps can extend without getting agitating.
Crossing fingers it’ll make a comeback!

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it! My torch had something similar and it was gone within a couple days
I soaked it in reef dip from seachem for an hour with a pump and heater in a different tank. I don’t see anymore brown jelly, and all of the polyps have extended more.

Hoping it’s not! I noticed that all my Eupyila was popping black stuff, so maybe it the wall hammer was pooping. The polyps weren’t extended at all, it maybe perhaps it got caught? Doesn’t smell bad, just smells like euphyila and ocean…

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked it in reef dip from seachem for an hour with a pump and heater in a different tank. I don’t see anymore brown jelly, and all of the polyps have extended more.

Hoping it’s not! I noticed that all my Eupyila was popping black stuff, so maybe it the wall hammer was pooping. The polyps weren’t extended at all, it maybe perhaps it got caught? Doesn’t smell bad, just smells like euphyila and ocean…
Looks like it! My torch had something similar and it was gone within a couple days
It was unfortunately brown jelly… I’m surprised this long… currently in a really ratchet quarantine..

I dipped twice in a mixture of 1 part peroxide 3% and 20 parts SW. along with a combined deep of reef flux and reef dip while siphoning.

Most of the jelly is off, but the polyps are so similar to brown jelly I kept accidentally pulling them off with my bastor

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 20

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. I have had similar stuff with euphyllia myself.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. I have had similar stuff with euphyllia myself.
Ended up fragging the corners and super glueing it to add protection. Looks very weak, doubt it’s going to make it. So far the most expensive coral i bought that died… hoping my other Euphyllia is safe. Otherwise I’d be out $800

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back