Wall mount hose retractable hose reel for water changes?

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any negative feedback about using a wall mount hose reel for water changes? My mixing station is 60+ feet away from my tanks... Would be super nice to be able to hook the hose reel up to my RO bin for ATO top offs and my Salt bin for water replen on the tanks during changes.

Amazon has a bunch for like $150 ish....

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with boats there are different hose materials. Not all of them are suitable for potable water. I can't imagine that what grows in a hose that makes water undrinkable would be good for our tanks.

I've always used Marine/RV hoses for drinking water for my tanks which are usually white with a blue stripe. You may need to look for a retractable hose holder that allows you to use your own hose on the reel.

Dave B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a section of 40’ of python brand hose on a manual reel That I would stretch out to the floor drain. i didn’t not pump change water back through it, it was nasty inside.

If I were to do it again, it would be a spring retract reel and a permanent priming pump on the inlet side with a diversion valve to a siphon vacuum for once the siphon started And an in-line filter basket to keep the crap out of the drain.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to find a hose reel without metal parts. It’s vital to keep hose wound up, otherwise it will kink everywhere. If anybody knows of one, post it up please!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back