Want to get into dosing. Hand vs automatic vs reactors?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sump for this build.

1573509256816.png

my first time using a non built by me sump. Wife requested i use a pro sump, and make the sump chamber " pretty and quiet" even though no one will see it. im just looking for what is easier to use. at least with the pro containers, i dont have to unhook the conections each time, just fill them right?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or couldnt i just drill 2 of these for their plugs, and put a rod in the back part, and still have the flip open for refills? 2 of those one for alk one for cal.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, it doesn't say what the connections are, but I am assuming they are 1/4 barbed so you should be fine. I use 2.5 lt containers, they last me a good while, 3 to 4 weeks.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, it doesn't say what the connections are, but I am assuming they are 1/4 barbed so you should be fine. I use 2.5 lt containers, they last me a good while, 3 to 4 weeks.
good to know! id love to get about a month before i need to mix more. is it better to buy or build?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, it depends on how much you dos, I dos roughly 60 ml Alk and 50 ml Cal daily. I have a trident controlling my dosing now so it varies a little.

As far a building, personally I bought the containers because I wanted the professional look and it matched my trigger systems sapphire sump. Plus, I don't have the time to build or the patience, LOL!!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, it depends on how much you dos, I dos roughly 60 ml Alk and 50 ml Cal daily. I have a trident controlling my dosing now so it varies a little.

As far a building, personally I bought the containers because I wanted the professional look and it matched my trigger systems sapphire sump. Plus, I don't have the time to build or the patience, LOL!!!
Well where this is a brand new build, im looking to build for the future. im going to price it, as id love that look, so if i have it open, it doesnt look science experimentish, as my wife would notice, and that was on her list to do this tank. Were after the tank to look like a piece of furniture in a room. clean.

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dosed by hand I was more Involved with my tank, started with Kalk in my ato, manually dosed mag, trace. Now I got my 4 channel dosing pump on ATI Essentials pro, cut the kalk and my growth/colors have skyrocketed, my rainbow nem is full of color as well as all my corals, Can defiantly see a noticeable difference.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already planning my next build and it will cost me a lot, LOL!!! I hate spending money more than one time on an item. I have upgraded my pumps 2 times and my lights 2 times as well, and I'm about to upgrade my lights a 3rd time, LOL!!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dosed by hand I was more Involved with my tank, started with Kalk in my ato, manually dosed mag, trace. Now I got my 4 channel dosing pump on ATI Essentials pro, cut the kalk and my growth/colors have skyrocketed, my rainbow nem is full of color as well as all my corals, Can defiantly see a noticeable difference.
how does it compare to BRS 2 part?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already planning my next build and it will cost me a lot, LOL!!! I hate spending money more than one time on an item. I have upgraded my pumps 2 times and my lights 2 times as well, and I'm about to upgrade my lights a 3rd time, LOL!!!
I try to do that. The lights from the 90, got re used on the 220 fowlr, the skimmer was to get re used, but it wont fit, sump i had wouldnt fit, so i had to, and it drives me nuts. Really makes me think about dropping the $$ on the bubble magnus so i dont have to buy another jebao in a year...

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does it compare to BRS 2 part?
Love ATI Essentials, Ive tried the BRS two-part and was dosing trace elements and reef + with it, Cut them both out since ATI has the trace elements, Have seen more growth, coloration and polyp extension as well while using the products.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love ATI Essentials, Ive tried the BRS two-part and was dosing trace elements and reef + with it, Cut them both out since ATI has the trace elements, Have seen more growth, coloration and polyp extension as well while using the products.
And from the cost side?

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from the cost side?
From cost side id say its equal, Considering I was dosing seachem reef trace and reef plus, was dosing around 50-55ml a day in a 40g of just brs, With ATI dosing 10ml ea in my 40g. Dosing two systems with it, My 40g and a 25g aio frag tank.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati essentials pro is 3 part, right? Dose anything else on the 4th channel?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From cost side id say its equal, Considering I was dosing seachem reef trace and reef plus, was dosing around 50-55ml a day in a 40g of just brs, With ATI dosing 10ml ea in my 40g. Dosing two systems with it, My 40g and a 25g aio frag tank.
I was looking at the aquaforest 123 too. Still trying to decide on what dosing pump to put on my "need list"

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati essentials pro is 3 part, right? Dose anything else on the 4th channel?
Yes ATI is three part I don't dose #3, #2 has ca/mag and trace and keeps my system in check with just 1&2. I would give it a try and see if you like it! I'm currently using a jebao 4 channel, have my 3rd/4th channel free since switching but you do need to calibrate the pumps to 100ml prior to using with your tubes measured.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ATI is three part I don't dose #3, #2 has ca/mag and trace and keeps my system in check with just 1&2. I would give it a try and see if you like it! I'm currently using a jebao 4 channel, have my 3rd/4th channel free since switching but you do need to calibrate the pumps to 100ml prior to using with your tubes measured.
The dp4 is the one I’ve been eyeing. Any reliability issues?

System size is 260g, so I’d need around 260ml/day. That looks to be around 38days per 2000ml 5x bottle. Cost around $45/ month

Seems like I could get into a CaRx and be ahead of the spending curve in about 18 months

Lots of thinking to do

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed by hand for 16 months! I LOVE AND APPRECIATE AND RESPECT MY DOSER!
I dosed by hand in my nano for over 2 years. Esv ionic 2 part and kalk in the ato. Kalk was just enough like 1/4 teaspoon in 4 gal just to keep ph up.
I dose by hand in my 120 now for 4.5 months. Same low kalk in my ato for ph control. Currently at 35 mls 1&2. Tank is only 4.5 months old.
I dose dsr trace daily also. Esv strontoum weekly. Have a jebao doser but not using it at the moment.
Have calcium reactor and all related equipment and will switch when I determine demand is needed. Probably by the first of the year when tank turn 6 months.
Tank is very stable with dosing 2 part at 6am once a day.
Coralline is almost completely covered the bare bottom and is now starting on back wall.
20191107_182511.jpg

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dp4 is the one I’ve been eyeing. Any reliability issues?

System size is 260g, so I’d need around 260ml/day. That looks to be around 38days per 2000ml 5x bottle. Cost around $45/ month

Seems like I could get into a CaRx and be ahead of the spending curve in about 18 months

Lots of thinking to do
I’ve had the Jebao for little over a year, do a random test from time to time to make sure my pump is dosing accurately and to this day hasn’t had any issues, and is still dosing accurately, it also has a internal battery Incase power outage, what does kinda scare me is if the pump were to get stuck on it will dose for 30mins before turning off. I’m personally thinking getting a WiFi pump to monitor dosing to make sure this doesn’t happen. Since 30 minutes on would be a nightmare with ati being concentrate

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back