View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have:

Stars and Stripes Puffer
Niger Trigger
Panther Grouper

All of them are roughly 3-5 inches...so little guys.

Right now I'm feeding:

Frozen mysis (all eat except grouper...he isn't interested)
Silversides (all eat, as long as i cut it into a variety of pieces
Grocery store pre-cooked and frozen shrimp (like you'd thaw for shrimp cocktail)

Is this going to give them adequate nutrition?

I'd tried Rod's Food and some other kind of carnivore frozen food, and they don't eat it. I've tried live meal worms and earthworms and only the oscar in the freshwater tank is interested.

Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the cooked shrimp for starters you want raw shrimp. If possible use fresh sea food but at a minimum make sure it isn’t cooked. Also try adding a vitamin supplement like selcon several times a week. Eventually they should come around and start taking different foods and none of those fish would be considered hard to feed. Just give it a little time. Which rods food? Was it the predator blend? If not that’s the one I would try feeding them those fish won’t thrive on mysis and smaller foods.

OP
OP
Subliminal

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the cooked shrimp for starters you want raw shrimp. If possible use fresh sea food but at a minimum make sure it isn’t cooked. Also try adding a vitamin supplement like selcon several times a week. Eventually they should come around and start taking different foods and none of those fish would be considered hard to feed. Just give it a little time. Which rods food? Was it the predator blend? If not that’s the one I would try feeding them those fish won’t thrive on mysis and smaller foods.
Thank you. Yes, it was the carnivore blend...no interest whatsoever.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I feed my predators is squid, octopus, and scallops. If you have an asian market near you, these are your best friends to feed predators. I buy whole baby octopus and squid and cut it up and freeze it, scallops can be bought just about anywhere. ALWAYS buy raw shrimp, never cooked. If you are going to do silversides, buy only sanfrancisco bay as @lion king recommends or buy the human consumption silversides from the asian market.

OP
OP
Subliminal

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I feed my predators is squid, octopus, and scallops. If you have an asian market near you, these are your best friends to feed predators. I buy whole baby octopus and squid and cut it up and freeze it, scallops can be bought just about anywhere. ALWAYS buy raw shrimp, never cooked. If you are going to do silversides, buy only sanfrancisco bay as @lion king recommends or buy the human consumption silversides from the asian market.
Thank you...I live in NJ...we have Asian markets. ;-)

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes, it was the carnivore blend...no interest whatsoever.
As Bucs20fan mentioned diy food is ideal and actually cheaper than rods. I’ve also starting adding salmon to my mix as recommended by lion king from his dead food post for larger predators. My fish seem to love it!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 79 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back