Want to prevent carpet surfing without screen - HELP please

Bad Company

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2014
Messages
624
Reaction score
67
Location
Milwaukee, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to set up a new rimless tank without a screen. I have clowns and a blue spot jawfish. My current water level is within 1"of the top of the glass, so I have a screen. On my new tank I don't want a screen, and I was thinking of designing it so the water level stays significantly below the top of the sides in order to contain jumpers.

Does anyone have experience with this? How much height would I need? 3"? Has anyone had a fish carpet surf through a hole that was 4" above the water level? I'm looking for anything that can help me make a decision. Thanks!
 
What you need is a screen.

With sincerity, it's the only way you'll prevent jumpers.
 
I don't think the greater height would help much. Fish can really sail a long ways out of the water if they want. I don't run a screen, but have tried to stay away from jumpers.
 
I've had two of my Bicolor Anthias jump in the last couple of years, one fatally. The one I saved cleared at least a foot above water line and other not so fortunate one had to get over 8" just to clear canopy facade. I would just spend whatever time necessary to fabricate a nice looking screen cover, be creative.

Cheers, Todd
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new