Want to see a thread that shows what our filtration bacteria tolerate, from a unique perspective?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...hed-tank/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-5561446

extreme fallow testing. how rare is that in one place. Friends at nano-reef.com/creative bunch have posted some very neat oxidation results and the ties into tank cycling, tank filtration, tank care options, are astounding though on initial inspection it seems to be just a collection of ammonia tests.

The significance is these were starved systems, starved.

Only water was provided for months and months and months for these rocks, not in aquaria with fish or bioloading, but in clear water storage buckets, and they never lost their ability to oxidize right about the same bioload they could when in a live aquarium

what that says about surface area activation, and deactivation, is Cycle article gold for the keen eyes.

How important now does ghost feeding seem?

There's two different types of ghost feeding Im referring to: one kind is to feed live rock animals like worms, starfish, and corals that may be implanted. those are heterotrophic feeders who require protein, not saying to starve those

there's the other kind where every aquarist on the planet was told, or read, at some time that we must feed bacteria or they'll die/retroscale back to nothingness. nano-reef.com just ended that paradigm, another one down. last one was allelopathy pats on the back to small tankers.

If anyone at Reef 2 Reef has fallow rock oxidation testing to offer, or any form of extreme testing of nitrifying bacteria testing to offer, imagine that in an article. Undoing bacterial myths by simple testing.

*we need emersion data

our critical surfaces are coated in insulating biofilms that allow for water loss for quite time time, nitrifiers are AMAZING

I have reports of a gentleman keeping his rocks out 8 weeks, in a cool dark place but still no water, rehydrating the rocks, and being able to digest 2 ppm of ammonia within 24 hours, the signified "cycle complete test"

more people can run these kinds of interesting tests

we think in the end, a trend will develop, that shows the aquarist your filtration bacteria and associated bacteria within their matrices are the first to come, and last to go, in any aquarium you'll keep barring any medication events. You simply do not have to concern over your filtration bacteria when relocating, cleaning, upgrading, downgrading, within very reasonable allowance levels, that frees aquarists a bit better than the old notions of bacterial weakness/dependence on us

they were quite adapted before we happened along w their cages.

these tests fly in the face of claimed nitrifier limitations online that any search will show: cannot tolerate temp swings well, cannot tolerate ammonia spikes without dying or being part of a ramp up, cannot handle emersion very well

all proven false in upcoming tests, hopefully. those remarks above are for pure culture reflections on nitrifiers, perhaps in packing solutions. Its not reflective of tank-level microbiology-online readings reveal from scholar that nitrifiers in nature and in aquaria exist as a complex with other bacteria- in insulated mats covering all major submerged surfaces. that distinction is critical; in the aquarium, if you will keep things wet, your bac really don't disappear it seems

:)

enjoy/discuss how bacteria are the toughest group of creatures we'll ever farm and how we thought the were the weakest six mins ago.

Last edited:

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I believe it.

I have a large tub full of live rock and rubble that I keep on hand. I used to keep it fed, heated and circulated until I realized it was not necessary. A tank still cycles instantly with these rocks (I usually give it a day or two before actually using the tank). I will say there is some die off, though not much. I also have some previously cycled/live rock which has been dry for a couple years now; I would be curious to see how it handles being freshly cycled...

Anyway, I would be happy to run tests if you can provide me with some specific test cases and processes to meet your experiment's needs.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting~

That thread above is good at showing how long the bacterial films can hold without feed.

It would expand our test of cycled rocks to see how long a set of rocks can be left outside of water, then rehydrated and still continue on about their business.

Not necessarily baked in the backyard sun, just pulled out of water and set in a box inside the house is fine anything that removes them out of water and puts the test against their own internal reserves for a few days

If it was ever not to much of a hassle ideally the test would show a few lbs nice rocks and a bucket of water that can handle a spike of ammonia to approx 1 or 2 parts per million like what sea bass showed above. the dark test showing the spike. Then 24 hours later, the zero setting hopefully showing cycle rocks.

Drain water for 36 hours and then refill them with water and repeat the whole test

I predict they can do it and they may leak ammonia for a day after but that will soon stop and they'll be able to digest it within one more day as an estimate

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other Ultra important test: the unassisted cycle.

If these didn't work we couldn't have got through the 1970s and 80s before bottle bacteria was available

But it's been too long having to rely on the old school stuff and now today people view the aquarist as having sole control over what the bacteria do or if they can even show up and sustain at all. For sure, most believe bacteria simply cannot get in a tank and cycle it without our help

Without that rotten stinky shrimp.

The baddest co test would be take totally dry reef rocks, good porosity no skimping, and put em in sw and literally nothing else.

At the end of X universal time frame, the rocks can take the 1-2 ppm oxidation challenge which stamps ability to filter/is cycled etc.

Dr Tim's boosted cyclers can get a 15-20 day cycle pretty easy.

Freshwater unassisted cycling, ergo every guppy tank I've ever owned for 35 yrs, is one month

Hydrate the plastic palm trees, epoxy rocks, and skull, in four weeks can take a gourami and some gupps. In all fifty states.

The inverse proof is- add the gupps and gourami on day one, see what happens.

The lfs man told us to fill the tank and come back in a month for a reason

Marine unassisted cycle? Predicted seventy days.

:) I promise no back editing prediction guidelines here on out okgo

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would expand our test of cycled rocks to see how long a set of rocks can be left outside of water, then rehydrated and still continue on about their business.

Okay I am on the road quite a bit over the next few weeks, so here is what I will do:

This weekend, I will pull a rock from my tub.

In three weeks, I will set up three 10 gallon tanks. One with a properly cycled live rock (from my DT or another of my live tanks), one with the pulled rock, one with the 2+ year pulled rock.

I will fill the three of them with water from my 220 DT (seems like a good chance to do a water change, lol).

I will not heat these tanks; but I will put them in a room that has the vents closed, so they should be stable around 24-25C. They will get moderate sunlight in this room.

Once filled, I will dose with .1 ml of ammonia; which should result is just over 2ppm (please check my math)...

I will test ammonia as close to every eight hours (as close as I can get).

Once ammonia tests 0 for at least 2/3 of the tanks (24-48 hours later), the tanks will be drained, sit for 36-48 hours (I will aim for 36).

Refill the tanks, repeat test.​

Sound good?

One other Ultra important test: the unassisted cycle.

This one is actually on my list. I want to compare a liverock, dry rock, dry rock with shrimp, dry rock with ammonia, dry rock with bottled bacteria. I will commit to doing this within the next year. However, I have a lot on my plate right now, so it is probably not going to happen before Christmas...

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hurry! Those guys in the thread had been letting things stew for mos to get ready, in the end w be good stuff and I bet others w hop on with added results. Material for awesome cycling article coming up

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back