Want to start carbon dosing

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start carbon dosing with either vinegar or vodka but I run a skimmerless system with only a refugium. Is that ok?

Last time I checked, Phosphates were at 0.01 and Nitrates were 18 ppm

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start carbon dosing with either vinegar or vodka but I run a skimmerless system with only a refugium. Is that ok?

Last time I checked, Phosphates were at 0.01 and Nitrates were 18 ppm
Your nutrients are already low...what's your motivation for carbon dosing?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want more fish and feed more lol :)
Dosing things like NoPox can help with a slight reduction and to stabilize. It won't help in your situation the way you want it to. Sump with chaeto or a skimmer would be a better option.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer....NO. You need a skimmer to carbon dose. What actually happens is that the carbon is used to complete the carbon/nitrogen/phospate combo to grow bacteria....in the process, consuming the nitrates and phosphates in your tank. Those bacteria are then removed (exported) by your skimmer. No skimmer, it all still stays within your tank.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing things like NoPox can help with a slight reduction and to stabilize. It won't help in your situation the way you want it to. Sump with chaeto or a skimmer would be a better option.

Thank you! My sump is small and only running a refugium, no room for a skimmer :(

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer....NO. You need a skimmer to carbon dose. What actually happens is that the carbon is used to complete the carbon/nitrogen/phospate combo to grow bacteria....in the process, consuming the nitrates and phosphates in your tank. Those bacteria are then removed (exported) by your skimmer. No skimmer, it all still stays within your tank.

Thank you for the explanation!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My sump is small and only running a refugium, no room for a skimmer :(
I use a HoB skimmer for my 90g and love it. Usually can find a way to make them work regardless of setup.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been carbon dosing without a skimmer for a good while now and never had a problem...it's actually a good thing to have those bacteria in your tank

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the reef octo classic and have nothing but positive things to say about it.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t carbon dose without a skimmer, you have no way to export the bacterial buildup that will consume nitrates and phosphates. You’ll cause all sorts of issues. I’m a big fan of bare bones filtration but a skimmer is a must with carbon dosing. You won’t have an export method if not.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back