wanted to add a new melanarus wrasse at lights out.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to add this wrasse to the 180. I figured I'd wait till at least close to lights out. However the fish is in sleep mode. I "think' it would be better to add the fish when it's awake than have to wake him up & add him at lights out. That means it's subject to the curiosity of a pair of clowns & 2 Butterfly's . Which would be more stressful ? Thank's !

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to add this wrasse to the 180. I figured I'd wait till at least close to lights out. However the fish is in sleep mode. I "think' it would be better to add the fish when it's awake than have to wake him up & add him at lights out. That means it's subject to the curiosity of a pair of clowns & 2 Butterfly's . Which would be more stressful ? Thank's !

Do you have an acclimation box? Best way would be in that in the morning. I've always read it's a bad idea to dig for wrasses so I have no experience with trying it or input on how stressful it is.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with not waking the fish up. I'm really not worried about the existing neighbors picking on him. I don't really like acclimation boxes. I feel that ((in some case )seriously stresses the new fish even more. I'd much rather section off a part of the tank. Gives the new fish much more room. I purposely setup a tank so somewhere I can add a divider .

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my melanarus, in less than a second of hitting the water, I saw a puff of sand, and didn't see him again for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about when you add this guy. Just don't expect to see him for a couple days.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my melanarus, in less than a second of hitting the water, I saw a puff of sand, and didn't see him again for a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about when you add this guy. Just don't expect to see him for a couple days.

This is exactly what mine did.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, just add him during the day as clowns and butterflies won't be much of an issue for him.

Good luck, it's a great fish!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's ! Iv'e had a Malanarus before it is a great fish !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ! The wrasse just made it into the tank. He hung out for a little while ,wondered over to the rock pile the clowns have claimed.. Mrs Barnum didn't like that at all. Chased him off ,he swam down to the bottom & promptly disappeared in a puff of sand ! Good Luck my new finned friend !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the wrasse is out & eating. Still a little skittish when the pigs ( 2 Butterfly's) are near This makes me Happy ! :)

HPIM9002.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this fish for about 9 days in a 20 long for " observation" . I'm in between Total treatment & PaulB's theory. I won't treat a fish unless I see the need. Also the salinity was low,like 1.20 low. I don't like that. I could go on & on about that . The fish ate well ,looked fine as I waited for salinity to rise. So in he goes !

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an acclimation box? Best way would be in that in the morning. I've always read it's a bad idea to dig for wrasses so I have no experience with trying it or input on how stressful it is.

I agree, the only time I would recommend digging for a wrasse is if you are transferring from one tank to another or if you have to move rock and don't want to accidentally bury the poor guy.

The Acclimation box after it wakes up would be a good idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back