Wanting an interesting Monti

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not great with SPS, but I’ve been ok with Montipora in the past until a tank die off. Sigh.

Anyway I moved my 85 gallon to a new place and the rock work is different. There is a place that would be great for a shelf type Monti. Most of those seem to be more of a single color while some of the encrusting types are more interesting in terms of color.

So...is there a shelf forming type with the cool looks of the encrusting types? If so, can somebody provide me a link?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the mind trick monti. It's an encrusting and shelving monti that is green with red polyps, and has a purple/ blue hugh around the edge / new growth area. Absolutely gorgeous coral :)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bunch!

Some encrusters will even plate out when they run out real estate. For instance, the mystic sunset monti plates in my tank! So does the 24k lepto which I would normally consider an encruster.

mystic_sunset_monti_grande.jpg

wednesday-4_grande.jpg

RR Nauti Spiral also plates
rr_nauti_spiral_grande.jpg

Or here's a true monti cap
Purple Rim or Leng Sy montipora
sunday-25_grande.jpg

I have more!

OP
OP
B

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Most of the time I do a google image search to start and the regular ones show up or I get Pinterest links. Do these encrust more or come out more? The area I have would take a while for a shelf if it decided to encrust first.

I never know with my tank. I could put a shark in there and have it eaten by an acan. Kidding in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Most of the time I do a google image search to start and the regular ones show up or I get Pinterest links. Do these encrust more or come out more? The area I have would take a while for a shelf if it decided to encrust first.

I never know with my tank. I could put a shark in there and have it eaten by an acan. Kidding in a way.

Each one is different. I suspect some of it has to do with flow and lighting as well. If you pick out a few you like, feel free to reach out and I'll let you know how they've grown for me. FYI, Anything capricornus always plates. Others it can be hit or miss.

OP
OP
B

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each one is different. I suspect some of it has to do with flow and lighting as well. If you pick out a few you like, feel free to reach out and I'll let you know how they've grown for me. FYI, Anything capricornus always plates. Others it can be hit or miss.

I was at the local store today and they showed me a couple that do plate and encrust. The area I have is a nice plane of rock with nothing hitting it. I’d probably get too much encrustation before any plating. While I’m not extremely impatient, the amount of time before outgrowth would be close to a year in my estimate. I use my tank for evening therapy, so I’d like something that would make me chill. My other option would be a “softer” lps that could handle higher light such as a torch or a hammer. Things have been iffy lately due to the Indonesian issue. A big hammer with long tentacles and purple tips would be nice, but prices as they are... I don’t really want a single head, ya know? But if you know of a strain or whatever that would be cool, then reply or pm me. The same area would actually be good for an acro, but I don’t like them after some diving injuries where I was thrown against them when I was starting to surface. I’m all about not hurting coral while diving, but they started it.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undata will encrust and plate. I agree with the post about Jedi Mind Trick, it's nice and my new growth in almost neon pink. I had a purple rim green plating monti that when jt was really happy the polyps turned blue. I am seei g some cool new wild Assie e ncrusting montis coming into my LFS, waiting for them to be released for sale.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back