WarEagle88's Evo 13.5

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being a long time lurker of the R2R community, I figured I'd finally dive in and be an active participant. So I'm gonna play a little catch up since it's been a handful of months my tank has been up and running, but I wanted to get a build thread set up to document my progress. So bear with me, this first one's gonna be a long one. :p

In September I decided to back Biota Aquariums' startup company on Indiegogo and give saltwater a try since it's something I'd always wanted to do and they were full of resources and advice on how to get started as a newbie. Loved their philosophy of introducing new reefers to the hobby by putting together a foolproof package of everything you'd need to get up and running (tank, salt, live rock, fish, coral) all sent in the right order so your tank is properly cycled by the time your fish and coral arrive. I really liked their views on sustainably aquacultured livestock and their want to try and increase conservation efforts through education, and parsing it out it was maybe a little more expensive than if I'd bought everything individually, but having their support and knowledge from the get go was worth the tiny upcharge. Overall they've been a really incredibly awesome company to deal with.

Got my tank in November, and a few weeks later they sent me my live rock.
Photo Dec 22, 5 43 02 PM.jpg

Kicked off my cycle and waited patiently until after the new year and then they sent me the fish/coral that came with the package I purchased. Two standard ocellaris clowns, a Rainford's goby, two leather corals, some zoas, and a frag of xenia.
Photo Apr 16, 7 58 29 PM.jpg
The clowns were immediately friendly and curious while the goby spent his first week and a half digging out all the sand from under my live rock to make himself at home and hiding from me every time I came in the room. Everything acclimated great aside from one of the leather corals that was sent to me that didn't end up surviving. Customer support on Biota's end was awesome in that department. I was told they were having lots of issues with that type of leather coral so they had decided to send me one of their aquacultured neon green neptheas instead. Fortunately it did really well and has been one of my favorite corals in the tank. Here's the non survivor and its replacement:
Photo Apr 16, 8 01 54 PM.jpg

At the end of January I was starting to have a bit of algae issues since the one thing not provided was a cleanup crew (although I hear they are breeding snails to include in the future), so I headed out to my LFS and picked up some hermits, nassarius snails, and a cleaner shrimp. The shrimp has an awesome personality and I love the pop of color he adds to the tank.
Photo Jan 23, 5 47 58 PM.jpg
One hermit in particular enjoys being a daredevil and climbing up the corners of the glass using the tiny bit of silicone as footholds. He'd get a couple inches from the top and then lose his grip and fall. Still waiting for the day he Houdinis himself out of the tank when I'm not watching.
Photo Feb 03, 1 13 22 PM.jpg

Mid February my smaller clown started having a weird issue with his slime coat that I had trouble with. Added some water conditioner I had on hand to the tank since it also had stuff in it to assist in regenerating slime coat, and that worked pretty much overnight and he's been good ever since.

I continued to battle algae so I added two trochus snails to the mix to work on the glass and hair algae. At this point I picked up a Red Sea Phosphate Pro kit and started to see steadily rising phosphate numbers so I decided to start running GFO in a homemade egg crate media basket (rather than the sponge that comes stock with the Evo) to help get those under control.
Photo Feb 18, 7 13 39 PM.jpg
At the end of February I went to Reefstock here in Denver and picked up a ton of new frags to color up the tank a bit as well as a little Koralia nano pump to up the flow in my tank, and a Red Sea test kit for Ca/Alk/Mg to keep an eye on those since I'd taken a step up to LPS corals from softies.

Put my three new euphyllias and duncan frag on a new little rock I added to spread things out and add a bit more dimension to the tank. Here they are starting to open up a few hours after being added to the tank:
Photo Mar 01, 4 44 53 PM.jpg
Got a really pretty frag of ricordea and some orange acans from an awesome group of guys who'd brought their frags all the way from New Mexico to be at Reefstock. They gave me lots of good advice on how to take care of all the new stuff I got which was greatly appreciated.
Photo Feb 25, 5 44 43 PM.jpg Photo Mar 07, 3 32 58 PM.jpg
Last but not least, I got this really pretty frag of alveopora that ended up being way larger than it looked at Reefstock once it got comfortable and opened all the way up at home.
Photo Apr 16, 9 15 41 PM.jpg

I ended up losing the frag of hammer coral I got at Reefstock. It just never acclimated well and totally bit the bullet a few weeks after adding it to the tank. Everything else continued to thrive and grow and I started dosing calcium to keep up with the new stony corals while I finished out the bag of regular instant ocean salt I was using. Switched to Reef Crystals after, and calcium levels are much easier to keep up with now. At this point the GFO started working really well and I was super happy to no longer need to scrape the glass off every other day with a razor blade.

Played around with where the corals are in my tank for a few weeks until finding good places where they were all happy and had plenty of space to stay away from each other (that purple torch does NOT play nice with the other euphyllia). At this point the Rainford's goby (Gobi-Wan Kenobi) is now super friendly and out of his cave the majority of the time sifting sand and dropping it on my acans. He's such a gorgeous fish.
GobiWan-and-Torch_Web.jpg

Mid-March I continued to slowly add to my cleanup crew and brought home three little zebra hermits and a couple more nassarius snails. One of the zebras really enjoys squeezing himself between all the zoas and chillin' out.
Photo Mar 23, 8 48 21 PM.jpg

My cleaner shrimp also spawned hundreds of little baby shrimp one evening which I was not expecting. The clown fish and corals had themselves an epic midnight snack and there were none left in the morning. But it was cool to see them dart around the tank for a while. The cleaner shrimp has had two more clutches of eggs since then, but neither of them were fertilized so I'm glad I got to see that happen the one time that it did.
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 9.50.19 PM.png

At the end of March my hair algae had gotten a bit ridiculous in places, so I followed my LFS's advice and added a tiny little tuxedo urchin who turned out to be an absolute lawnmower. In less than two weeks he had all of it destroyed and now happily eats seaweed that I feed him to make sure he leaves my coraline algae alone. He is a big fan of accessorizing with hats of any kind that he can find in the tank from GSP to zoas. :D
Photo Apr 16, 10 01 00 PM.jpg

Beginning of April I headed down south to check out CoralCon in Colorado Springs. Made it through the blizzard conditions and picked up three frags for crazy awesome prices. A candy cane, a gold hammer, and a really pretty frag of encrusting goniopora that I was rather mesmerized by.
Photo Apr 02, 1 05 46 PM.jpg
When I got home I also noticed the new hammer frag I picked up actually had two more tiny heads starting to grow underneath, so I'm excited to watch that one grow.
Photo Apr 02, 2 40 56 PM.jpg

Now it's mid-April and my little Evo is really starting to look like a mini ocean in a box. Everything is thriving (except the goniopora which needs more light...AI Prime on its way from Amazon as I type) and it's safe to say I'm officially hooked on this incredibly fun hobby. The first step is admitting you have an addiction, right? ;)

Photo Apr 14, 5 26 53 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 16, 10 43 15 PM.jpg

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Auburn alum and fan, welcome. Gonioporas are generally expert only so you have quite the challenge on your hands. I have an alveopora which is a lot of fun. Nice looking tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a great thread, detail and pics very nice layout. are you saying this was your first sw tank, a full blown nano reef? wow that's something you wouldn't find in 1999. the way they mail out already cycled/aged materials is a great business model, we practice skipping cycles all the time in nano reefing, to be repeated again one day when you take down the tank to clean out that sandbed back to 100% no clouding ability (later on, as normal maintenance)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks great and some nice photos as well! Welcome!

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Auburn alum and fan, welcome. Gonioporas are generally expert only so you have quite the challenge on your hands. I have an alveopora which is a lot of fun. Nice looking tank.
Thanks, and War Eagle!! Fingers crossed that Stidham isn't all hype like Johnson was and we have an awesome season. Hoping to make it out for a game this year.
Yeah, I lost a bit of the goni on one side in the first couple weeks, but after spot feeding it more frequently it seems to have stabilized, and I'm hopeful that the new light I've got coming will definitely help it get the higher PAR that it needs. The alveopora has definitely been much easier to care for.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a great thread, detail and pics very nice layout. are you saying this was your first sw tank, a full blown nano reef? wow that's something you wouldn't find in 1999. the way they mail out already cycled/aged materials is a great business model, we practice skipping cycles all the time in nano reefing, to be repeated again one day when you take down the tank to clean out that sandbed back to 100% no clouding ability (later on, as normal maintenance)
Thank you! Yes, this is my first saltwater tank! I had freshwater tanks all through my childhood and then was out of the hobby through college and several years after when I was just too busy and didn't have the budget. I'd always wanted to try saltwater, but back then it seemed rather daunting. I'm glad I made the jump this time though...saltwater is so much more rewarding IMO.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great and some nice photos as well! Welcome!
Thanks! Can you tell the point I upgraded my phone to the new model after my old one died? :p Much sharper photos with better color accuracy on the iPhone 7 vs the 6. Glad to have a community where I can share them all without bombarding my facebook friends with my fish nerdiness! ;Snaphappy

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and War Eagle!! Fingers crossed that Stidham isn't all hype like Johnson was and we have an awesome season. Hoping to make it out for a game this year.
Yeah, I lost a bit of the goni on one side in the first couple weeks, but after spot feeding it more frequently it seems to have stabilized, and I'm hopeful that the new light I've got coming will definitely help it get the higher PAR that it needs. The alveopora has definitely been much easier to care for.
I am not sure how true this is but I have heard that Gonis require spot feeding of every individual polyp. I also believe Stidham will get us to 10 wins this year. WDE!

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend's project: ATO!

Photo Apr 17, 2 49 20 PM.jpg

Picked up a Tunze Osmolator 3155 at Aquatic Art this weekend. Definitely a bit pricey, but from all the negative reviews for the cheaper ones, I decided I'd rather buy this one first than skimp and end up buying this one anyway after the cheap one breaks. Plus, when I inevitably upgrade to a larger tank at some point it can move with me, so I'll get good use out of it.
On my way home I stopped by the Container Store and found a 2.5 gallon food safe container for $9 that fits perfectly in the little cubby underneath my tank to use as a freshwater reservoir. The cashier asked me if I was planning on using it for margaritas like the other person who bought the same container that day. I'm sure the fish would love that instead of top off water...hahaha. I need to get ahold of a larger drill bit to make a hole in the lid for the pump cord and hose so that I can screw it on, but for now it's fine chillin' on top.
The ATO works great so far, and the magnet for the sensor fits perfectly inside the return pump compartment in the back of the tank. I had to move my heater out of that chamber and into the tank to make room for it, but I can live with that to not have to worry about topping up the tank on my own every morning. I mainly got it since I know I'll be traveling in about a month and a half and wanted to make things easier for whoever I get to come check on the tank and feed the fish.

Today was also a water test day. Happy to see my nitrates in a much better place this week compared to last. They were at around 15ppm for a couple weeks, and now I'm back below 10.

SG 1.025
pH 8.0 (First time I've ever seen it not read 8.2, so I'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn't dip any further.)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.5 (Not sure what this little spike is all about. Gonna re-test tomorrow and go from there.)
Nitrate 8
Ca 460
Alk 10.4
Mg 1360
PO4 0.06

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man, and you have exquisite taste in football teams! I have the same tank and I love it. War Eagle from another Auburn alum.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man, and you have exquisite taste in football teams! I have the same tank and I love it. War Eagle from another Auburn alum.
Thanks, and WDE! Loving seeing all the Auburn reefers here. I've come across a handful in my first month.
I saw your tank over in the Evo thread. Nice setup you've got!! And you've got a Rainford's as well! Love the coloring they have.

So far the Evo's been a great little tank. Definitely leaves something to be desired with the light and return pump, but overall it's a pretty sweet setup.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great close up pics.

Would be curious how you like the Biota Aquariums experience. I looked them up a while back and I do like the approach they are taking to help spread saltwater aquarium to a more general audience.

It's actually how I came about to learning about and then purchasing the Fluval Evo 13.5

Last edited:

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!

I was an early backer of Biota as well. Due to some personal issues, I didn't get my tank set up until January, so I've only had livestock in it for about 6 weeks. It's all doing well, but I'm also encountering the algae problem. Have you had any problems with your bioload with the addition of the cleanup crew and more coral? How has the urchin behaved? A blue tuxedo is an animal I've long wanted to keep.

Nice to know the lights that come with the tank can support some cool corals. I'd love to add a frogspawn sometime down the road.

Cheers,
rant

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and WDE! Loving seeing all the Auburn reefers here. I've come across a handful in my first month.
I saw your tank over in the Evo thread. Nice setup you've got!! And you've got a Rainford's as well! Love the coloring they have.

So far the Evo's been a great little tank. Definitely leaves something to be desired with the light and return pump, but overall it's a pretty sweet setup.
I replaced the return pump with a small sicce syncra silent and threw an im sea spinner for random flow. I took the hood off and added a screen top with a used kessil 160we for light.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great close up pics.

Would be curious how you like the Biota Aquariums experience. I looked them up a while back and I do like the approach they are taking to help spread saltwater aquarium to a more general audience.

It's actually how I came about to learning about and then purchasing the Fluval Evo 13.5

Biota has been an awesome company to work with. They definitely had their share of startup issues with delays and shipping issues, but every time I emailed them with a problem I was almost immediately responded to and everything was taken care of. They sent me healthy and beautiful livestock that was well packaged and still warm despite it being the dead of winter and immediately sent me a new coral to replace the only one that didn't survive the journey (and upgraded me to a more expensive coral for free). Their customer service is excellent, and they do a fantastic job of getting you practically everything you need to get started in the hobby with no knowledge of what to pick out for yourself.

I will say that their approach is definitely more suited to the absolute beginner who has no knowledge of keeping any kind of aquarium than towards someone with a bit more knowledge as they want you to keep everything pretty bare bones simple and have a low bioload so maintenance can remain at a minimum. They advise you to never add anything additional to your tank as, "it's best suited for the 4 included corals and nothing more" which isn't true, but is if you're a super beginner and just want to keep what you have alive and not have a heavy maintenance requirement. Nano tanks are a delicate balance though, so I completely understand why they are hesitant to say it's ok to increase the stock in your tank.

There were a couple things that I think they could improve on in the future, and I outlined those in their customer survey. Their lack of any cleanup crew created an algae problem early on that they don't really have a good solution for aside from telling you to shorten the time your lights are on. I followed that advice but it continued to be an issue, so I decided to seek out a cleanup crew on my own. I know that they are striving to keep everything 100% aquacultured, so I understand their reasoning for not including inverts as most of those are wild caught, but having a proper cleanup crew from the beginning (even if it were a small one of say a trochus, nassarius, and a hermit) would help a lot to get out in front of those algae issues before they get really bad.

I was also concerned that they set you up to run your tank with zero water testing ever. The packages they sell don't come with even a basic test kit nor do they sell water testing kits on their website like they do other necessary supplies, and if you really want to be successful in this hobby I think knowing your water parameters (especially when your tank is new and so small) is really important. I purchased my own Red Sea Marine Care test kit to have all of those basic tests covered, and it did show me that maybe their timeline is a bit rushed from the point they ship you a live rock to when they're willing to send you fish. All of the stuff they send you definitely kick starts your cycle and helps a ton to get it finished faster, but my cycle was still not done by the time they said I would be ok to add livestock...something I only knew because I was testing my own water.

In the future I'd love to see them include a small test kit and provide the same level of education as they do about the rest of your tank and its inhabitants towards teaching people about the nitrogen cycle and how proper nutrient removal keeps your tank happy and healthy. And ultimately I think they will expand to do such things once they're past the startup phase. They recently added two part to their online store, so I can see hints of them expanding to maybe offer some lower light LPS corals in the future, and I do know they have other things in the works behind the scenes in terms of their other captive bred fish.

Overall I'd say they've got a great start towards putting together the perfect package to get someone started in the hobby and I love their company's ideals and commitment to conservation. I'd absolutely recommend them to someone looking to get started in the hobby with the advice that they should be prepared to outgrow the knowledge that Biota provides and need to seek out solutions and information from elsewhere if they want to expand in the hobby. But I think that's really what Biota is aiming for. Getting people started with a minimalist setup so they can get their feet wet, and having the few people who start there and then really get into the hobby leave the nest so to speak, while the casuals can stay situated where they are with the basics if they just enjoy the tank that Biota provides if they wish. They're introducing lots of new people to the hobby that maybe would be here if they didn't exist, and I think they're doing a pretty good job of it overall.

OP
OP
WarEaglesReef

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!

I was an early backer of Biota as well. Due to some personal issues, I didn't get my tank set up until January, so I've only had livestock in it for about 6 weeks. It's all doing well, but I'm also encountering the algae problem. Have you had any problems with your bioload with the addition of the cleanup crew and more coral? How has the urchin behaved? A blue tuxedo is an animal I've long wanted to keep.

Nice to know the lights that come with the tank can support some cool corals. I'd love to add a frogspawn sometime down the road.

Cheers,
rant

Hello fellow Biota backer!! How have you enjoyed the experience with their company so far?

Adding a basic cleanup crew of a few snails and hermits didn't do much to increase my bioload, but once I added stony corals that need to be fed if you want them to really grow it absolutely did cause an increase. My maintenance schedule with the added tank inhabitants definitely needs to be more strict and does require larger water changes than Biota recommends. I do 20-30% water changes every 5-6 days rather than their 1 gallon a week suggestion, and so far that's kept up with my rather expansive invert crew and numerous stony corals fairly well.

The tuxedo has been an absolute beast and I love him. I'd even go as far as to tell you he could be the only algae eating cleanup crew you need for this little tank if you end up with a lawnmower like mine is. I put mine in the tank and had tons of hair algae all over and he absolutely decimated all of that in about a week and a half. I had no idea he'd be so efficient, especially since I picked out one that wasn't much bigger than a nickel. If you do get one, be prepared to supplement its diet with seaweed after it plows through your algae. He's been an awesome addition to the tank and is definitely my favorite member of the cleanup crew along with the cleaner shrimp. He gets along with everyone, cleans REALLY well, and watching him carry everything he can get his hands on has been highly entertaining.

The light did way better than I thought it would with the more demanding corals I've added. I'm curious to see how the coral growth compares once my new light comes in and I get that up and running, but so far almost all of my new corals are fully open and happy and growing new heads with the stock light. So yeah, I'd say you could definitely add a frogspawn or other euphyllia coral and be ok sticking with the stock light. I'm loving having those in my tank as they add a lot of motion and color.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back