Warner Marine unveils EcoBAK solid vodka dosing pellets

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Would love to see a documented thread on this Paul - if you decide to give it a try. : )

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely document when I give it a try. It also appears that they have improved on the original formula. Very excited about this..:bigsmile:

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am too. I like the idea of being able to put this in a reactor or a mesh bag. Have you read how long this will last Paul? Obviuosly, we have to replace carbon / gfo depending on use....wondering if you have seen what the lifespan of this polymer material is? This would be a very interesting thread and I'm guessing you would have a LOT of folks following this one.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on another site:

"Talking with Jon Warner... he says his 500 ml run in a 90g tank has been depleted about a 1/4" in his reactor in 6 months. Obviously consumption rate will be dependent on what your N and P levels ar ein your tank. His was low to begin with as is mine.... so consumption should not be that great."

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty darn good! I wonder of folks are dosing Microbacter 7 with this media (to get the same results as vodka)? I need to do some reading obviously....lol

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! Of course I just ordered 1000ml of NP Biopellets this weekend from PA....

They say they are a different polymer then that NP pellets, wonder how different a product it is.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the post there are no binders just the polymers so the carbon source stays in the the reactor and does not enter the water column. The pellets are porous so the bacteria and colonize on them easier. You need slower flow (100gph) and the reactor does not need to be completely fluidized as the pellets do not slime over. In reading the NP threads you always had to agitate or shake up the reactor to get the mulm off of the pellets.

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the post there are no binders just the polymers so the carbon source stays in the the reactor and does not enter the water column. The pellets are porous so the bacteria and colonize on them easier. You need slower flow (100gph) and the reactor does not need to be completely fluidized as the pellets do not slime over. In reading the NP threads you always had to agitate or shake up the reactor to get the mulm off of the pellets.

That's good info - if I have to shake / agitate, I may as well just go full blown Zeovit. I want something that I don't have to touch for a while and this sounds much more attractive.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to my garage and pulled out the pieces of acrylic tube and sheets so I can make a reactor....:bigsmile: I just need to make it big enough so I can put it on my 225 I have going up.

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I smelled some DIY fumes....have at it. Document your progress for us! : )

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice....gotta love Jon and his innovations.... I will definatly be giving these a try since I got a empty reactor sitting in My sump.... Ever since I got my Hanna meter I gave up on the rawaphos and just strictly use vodka and all has been well, zeros across the board...:)

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosing anything with it Troy? I used vodka and MB7 for over a year and stopped recently.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is cool! I need to try these out!

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice....gotta love Jon and his innovations.... I will definatly be giving these a try since I got a empty reactor sitting in My sump.... Ever since I got my Hanna meter I gave up on the rawaphos and just strictly use vodka and all has been well, zeros across the board...:)

I haven't used GFO in a several months since vodka dosing.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was about to start dosing vodka. Thinking about ditching the gfo and throwing some eco bak in the reactor. Is this stuff available yet?

snookin321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this stuff sounds cool.......when and where will these be available? wanna give these things a try!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the reef builders article Brian said they will be the released next week.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back