9ccef4e6dd0bed97eb611da15eab7055.jpg

50607316bccea01dfaba7b247d949280.jpg

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warran, love the tank. Everything looks great. Can you share the cost of the tank and stand? Did you order a custom size tank from Crystal Dynamic? Was the stand custom as well? I like the steel stand with huge openings for doors up front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warran, love the tank. Everything looks great. Can you share the cost of the tank and stand? Did you order a custom size tank from Crystal Dynamic? Was the stand custom as well? I like the steel stand with huge openings for doors up front.

It was a little over 5000 for the tank and stand, and shipped to Virginia. Both the tank and stand were totally custom. The cabinetry was done after we got the tank in place and costed more than I care to remember [emoji14]

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish and photography are SO nice. I absolutely love the photo of the regal and majestic together. The size difference is crazy! But the bright blue on both of them matches so well

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish and photography are SO nice. I absolutely love the photo of the regal and majestic together. The size difference is crazy! But the bright blue on both of them matches so well

Thank you! This means a lot because 99 out of 100 photos is garbage. Turns out fish are terrible at being photographed [emoji30]

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 What she said... May I ask, is your Regal Indo or RS ? nice fish collection. [emoji106]

Red Sea. I got him from NyAquatic. The misbar was a surprise. I like it! The only thing I wish is that he would eat something other than frozen little neck clams. He doesn’t even like it if I chop them up. He only wants them whole. He only takes a few bites too. He isn’t ravenous like all my other fish.

My copperband is a pig! I have never seen one eat like this. It’s really satisfying. He eats everything and eats so fast that he makes clicking sounds from his teeth! I haven’t been able to capture that on camera just yet.

skynite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank being so wide, how is the flow? Do you have enough flow from the Gyre's? Also do you have any invertebrates? You mentioned the Copperband, I was curious if the Copperband messed with them at all.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank being so wide, how is the flow? Do you have enough flow from the Gyre's? Also do you have any invertebrates? You mentioned the Copperband, I was curious if the Copperband messed with them at all.

The flow is quite good. The gyres max out at 60%. Any more any I may crash some water over the eurobrace or make the center too violent where the current meets.

Since my corals are still so small, I have more than adequate flow. As they grow in though, I will need to add at least 2 more power heads to make sure I don’t have dead spots. I keep hoping for a power head system to come along that is all controllable in an app. I’m not overly fond of the WAV pumps, or Nero. Maybe 4 of the new 300 series gyres. We’ll see.

Re: inverts. Yes I have lots of trochus and a few other types of snails. The trochus have bred many times now, much to my dismay. Little babies have popped up in the sump and have broken a few pins off the very nice and expensive needle wheel of my Bubble King Double Cone 200 [emoji24] my copperband hasn’t touched any inverts. Not even the big feather duster. He is well fed. My 3 types of leopards also leave the inverts alone. I don’t dare put in a clam though, since everything is used to eating whole frozen clams. I think a live one would just be an expensive snack.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few setbacks. The first is the most devastating. My yellow belly regal died. I’m not entirely sure what happened here. He didn’t eat as vigorously. Maybe because my other fish are just too aggressive at feeding time. So I upped the frozen clams to twice a day. I didn’t think he was skinny at all, but I found him one morning not coming out for food and he got worse and I lost him by that night [emoji22]

The other setback was that my phosphates bottomed out and hit 0 despite feeding tons of frozen food twice a day. I made the mistake of increasing the fuge light an extra hour or so of runtime and it really just eats nutrients like crazy. That caused a tiny bit of dinos to pop up, which caused my first STN event in this tank. I lost a PC Superman, which kept falling and getting blown around, and a few small frags are really questionable right now. Everything else is recovering after a calculated dose of trisodium phosphate.

Here’s the nutrient destroyer.

f39716f032195197fade731dd44bc3fd.jpg

9ddc648403dafb910bcf56256f7936e1.jpg

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the Regal... Painful .... Just went through same with a small Gold Flake.... Got from wholesaler and placed in QT. After 3-4 days of pampering, no eating.... As fish showed no external signs of distress, i took a risk and placed in display that is five years old. Feed neck clams, etc. and nothing...
Glided through water like your Regal, no eating [emoji107] Gone 5 days later. Expensive lesson ... Jealous of those having success with this Angels...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back