OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I haven't posted updates for a while because I got hit first by cotton candy algae, like a massive crazy outbreak while I was on a work trip (of course). Then came ostreopsis dinos while the algae was dying off. The dinos came on strong, and very suddenly. I've finally beat them back. This is what I did:
  • Dosing Vibrant once a week
  • Dosing Fritz Monster 460, Tim's Eco Balance, or Tim's Refresh every day that Vibrant wasn't dosed
  • Changing UV flow rate to 400 GPH for my 50W High Output Pentair
  • Adding turbo snails to clean up the dying red algae
  • Increased skimmer to 40W on my Bubble King Double Cone 200
  • Dosing potassium nitrate to keep at least 1ppm of nitrates
  • Micro bubbles 10 minutes/hour + 6 hours continuous overnight
  • Changing return flow nozzles
I think that last 2 really helped a lot. I noticed after I added the micro bubbles that a fair amount of the bubbles would go straight from the returns, get pushed by the pumps and into the overflow. This meant to me that a lot of the return water was also going straight into the overflow, so I changed the pattern significantly, which also boosted my return flow rate to about 4x display capacity. Just a few days later, they are all gone. Almost overnight. Really, it's quite amazing.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the whole tank chloroquine phosphate work out for you?

I wouldn’t recommend it, but it seems to have worked for me. I think it may have also contributed to my insane 1ppm phosphate spike afterwards, even though I ran copious amounts of carbon.

Edit: I started to pull out the phosphates with GFO, which I think contributed to my ostreopsis Dino outbreak. Ultimately got phosphates down to .03 with lanthanum chloride.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winding down on my dino and red algae outbreak. You can see some dying dinos left on the overflow. What's also strange is the rock in the back. It was almost completely unaffected by the outbreak:

DSC00334 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Same area after it cleared up

DSC00581 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Left side

DSC00575 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Center

DSC00578 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Meleagris leopard wrasse

DSC00589 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Red goniopora from Supreme Reefs

DSC00605 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Coral Beauty

DSC00607 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Pintail (Isosceles) fairy wrasse

DSC00615 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

DSC00788 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Red fin lawnmower blenny

DSC00670 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Bones, the clownfish

DSC00678 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Resplendent anthias and some frags

DSC00884 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Resplendent anthias, notice the color change on fins

DSC00724 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Blemished 8 line flasher wrasse

DSC00931 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

Rhomboidalis fairy wrasse

DSC00736 by Warren Wang, on Flickr

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months in, and I’ve dealt with cotton candy algae, dinos, and today what do I see? AEFW bite marks on my BC Rainbows in Spain acro. Gimme a break! Of course it happens the day before a week long vacation and after I glued a few down. I’ve only bought acros from 3 sources so far. My coral QT isn’t running yet so now it’s in the display.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor Spainbow [emoji22]

f2031fe8a25e3f60c47d4413612f73b6.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, looks like you have AEFW:( Honestly though, not the end of the world. Especially with a young tank. All of your corals are still frag size, so pulling them to dip will be easy.
AEFW come off easily with most dips, so they're relatively easy to get a handle on.

I'm going through a similar thing right now. Hang in there

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry spent more time watching the rhomboid ;Woot The anthias are beautiful fish though, really like that selection overall. Everyone seems to be enjoying the free snail spawn

Any tangs coming to the mix?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry spent more time watching the rhomboid ;Woot The anthias are beautiful fish though, really like that selection overall. Everyone seems to be enjoying the free snail spawn

Any tangs coming to the mix?

Haha. The rhomboid is great too. Very observant of you. A torch is snail was spawning. I didn’t even know I caught it on video.

As far as tangs go, they get too large. I really like desjardinis and sailfins, but they’re quite sizable. I prefer lots of small to medium fish. My watanabe and swallowtail angels are the largest fish I have.

I have debated a regal angelfish. My dream fish is a copperband. I had one before but he would only eat live blackworms. A real pain to deal with. My fish are such aggressive eaters that I doubt something as timid as a CBB or regal would fare well.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking very nice. Great job on the video. Could you tell me what you have your Gyres set to? The flow looks pretty good. I have mine set on LTC but I’m not sure if this gives enough flow or not. Thanks.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking very nice. Great job on the video. Could you tell me what you have your Gyres set to? The flow looks pretty good. I have mine set on LTC but I’m not sure if this gives enough flow or not. Thanks.

I think it’s set to about 60/40 LTC. It works pretty well. I may add 2 more small pumps when things grow in. Also I’m looking forward to the new 300 series of the Gyres, which should be much quieter. Mine sound like drills [emoji31]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back