OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it. My GFCI/AFCI outlets are coming out ASAP. They have tripped three times now. I’m lucky someone has been around. Three different outlets on 3 different circuits have tripped simultaneously, and independently for no good reason at all. I hate to do it, but I’m just going back to a normal outlet with a ground probe. Today it happened without my UV running at all. That’s the only ballast I have.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would be careful about removing those. Get a single high quality one (you can also add an audible alarm if you don't have a controller) and you shouldn't have any issues. If you do have issues with it tripping, there is something that is a danger in your system. Frayed wires, etc. -- you might try to narrow down the source of the trips if you still get them AFTER you put in a high quality single GFCI outlet. Safety first!!

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of them are brand new dedicated circuits with brand new lines home ran to the circuit breakers [emoji30] I will probably pull them and try the GFCI inline auto reset plugs made for heavy duty construction.

U

User1

View Badges
That’s it. My GFCI/AFCI outlets are coming out ASAP. They have tripped three times now. I’m lucky someone has been around. Three different outlets on 3 different circuits have tripped simultaneously, and independently for no good reason at all. I hate to do it, but I’m just going back to a normal outlet with a ground probe. Today it happened without my UV running at all. That’s the only ballast I have.

Off question - what state do you live in and is it a newer house? Only reason why I'm asking is that I live in California with a 3 year old house. New regulations require the use of smart breakers in certain rooms in the house. The room with the tank kept having is circuit breaker tripping. I'd go out and reset it and it would trip again, and again. Then go away for a while and be normal. I had the builder come out and look, nothing. Still would trip off and on, nothing consistent but when it happened, it would be random. Anyway I ended up changing the wall outlets, switches on the other side of the room, and it didn't go away. I started using an extension cord to other plugs in the house - issue continued to happen.

Finally called out another electrician who looked at the room, looked to make sure amperage was good - which I already did - then explained to me the recent changes to new homes and these so called smart circuit breakers. He gets a lot of calls from tank owners and high end electronic equipment users saying how these breakers trip - he explained how it can't interpret the power properly and trip thinking they are preventing a fire. My controller turning on or off the heater, the sudden power draw, or the controller turning on/off LEDS or the sudden ramp up / down of intensity (power) to simulate storms/clouds. Anyway I swapped out the breaker to match the kitchen and the problem went away.

Doesn't sound like your issue but I found it rather interesting that these breakers exist and the issues they are causing and not actually preventing anything in this case other than issues.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. He’s describing AFCI receptacles or breakers.

Today there was a big storm here and one of these same model receptacle triggered during a brownout and required a manual reset. No way I’m going to leave it after seeing that. I already swapped one to a GFCI only.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped to hospital grade GFCI

80b0d3b79e27f8745ef61ebb78b3a5aa.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great system youve built yourself! Tank and cabinetry both are impressive! Funny how you learn something a little different with each and every build. Smart breakers that arent so smart...Ugh.

Ive just started working with Zoya on 110g and from everything ive seen so far im sure to be happy!

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I also have a CD tank and really enjoyed working with Zoya and Trent. What lighting program are you running through the Mitras?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I also have a CD tank and really enjoyed working with Zoya and Trent. What lighting program are you running through the Mitras?

I modified and adapted something similar to the Radion AB+ program. Since I don’t know yet if it’s good for corals I will refrain from posting it. I have to turn them down a LOT though. I get about 170 at the sand running 40%. Seems like having multiple fixtures and a shallow tank contributes a lot to this.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think perhaps I need to start a build thread for my very strange invert QT tank. I’m getting all sorts of strangeness in here. I practically screamed what the heck this morning when I looked in and saw a little fish staring back at me!!! It’s too little for me to tell what kind of fish it is.

I’ve had some other strange creatures in here too.

a6f9845213a88aa1a2ffbf8be44415cf.jpg

This thing looks like a pill bug that mated with the moth from Silence of the Lambs:

387b08cfd465348ed88afb59234ff829.jpg

There’s this strange centipede like isopod

685e4cee1defea3342dfb121ba6d0d1b.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Wow - that is some super awesome strange crazy stuff you got going on in there... Cool - but freaky!

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally going to get the calcium reactor going this weekend. Til now I’ve been dosing by hand as needed. Not too much is using up the big 3 since I have no corals or appreciable coralline.

5b8587bd74bf80271a05d7d28c7a01ec.jpg

7641d6b204a6280102771e9a0ca6e05d.jpg

211a7b2b01394e75b59913211750fb19.jpg

Slightly nervous since I’ve never used one before. I’ve always used dosing pumps til now. Good thing is that there are only fish in the tank and I’ll have lots of safe guards on CO2 release.

Last edited:

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. Get things running smooth before adding Coral. Then make small changes as demand increases.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back