Warren's 220 Crystal Dynamic build

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear but that’s why we do leak tests! Hopefully it’s a small obstacle on this magnificent build project!

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s salty!

e93adabf6c8427f22a0c951d8af6ac0d.jpg

You can see the overflow and return pipes through the glass overflow for now. It’ll get covered with coralline eventually.

The overflow is noisy still. I have the Varios 8 on level 2 and it’s causing the water to crash into the overflow. I set the level quite high and it’s still noisy, in part due to the gyre literally pushing water into the overflow. I think it will quiet down when algae forms and makes a gentle slope.

The sump is also noisy for now. It looks like a river going into the first sock and that makes a waterfall sound. The sock needs to clog up more. I also have a pair of filter sock silencers on the way.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note. I have some serious doubts on the accuracy of the 2” flow sensor. There is a ton of water coming into the sump. The sensor says 175 GPH. There’s no way. I’ll try to post a video soon. Maybe do a tank tour sort of thing.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for the stand in terms of wood wrapping ?

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Sorry I missed that. Did you use hardware or magnets or something else? I am going to have to wrap a metal stand and there are a few different ways. I really like what you did , can you give some details into how you did it?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Sorry I missed that. Did you use hardware or magnets or something else? I am going to have to wrap a metal stand and there are a few different ways. I really like what you did , can you give some details into how you did it?

The cabinetry is actually just a facade. It was ordered as a flat panel with doors for the front of the stand and the same for the front of the canopy. The sides (ordered as separate refrigerator panels) are just attached with pocket screws. There is an aluminum strip siliconed to the tank that has screws running to the back of the canopy facing and a strip of wood on the ceiling for the top of the facing. The

The back of the canopy is supported with aluminum strips attached to both the wall and side panels. We didn’t do this for the wrap around the stand because we just screwed through from the side panel into the base cabinets next to the stand.

Here’s a video with a basic walk through. I forgot some important details on the cabinetry but you can see it in the video.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for going through it all and with a video! Great work!

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for going through it all and with a video! Great work!

I forgot to talk about how the bottom front of the canopy is attached. There is a square aluminum stock siliconed to the eurobrace. It is predrilled and screwed to the back of the canopy facing. There’s also some aluminum L stock to attach the canopy sides to the wall. Hope this helps.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing you videos I was on google looking up cabinet frames and doors. Online isn’t giving me the options to buy based on a specific size. I might need to find a local maker and just go there.

Did you buy the magnets online?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing you videos I was on google looking up cabinet frames and doors. Online isn’t giving me the options to buy based on a specific size. I might need to find a local maker and just go there.

Did you buy the magnets online?

Your cabinet facing and doors will likely need to come from a custom cabinet maker. I think the 2 faces with doors, refrigerator panels and 2 base cabinets came to around 5k for materials. That cost will depend on your location and materials. Mine were all factory painted on both sides.

Magnets will somewhat depend on your stand and facing. These were a perfect fit and required no countersinking into the facing because the stand’s center steel support post is a little smaller than the 4 big corner posts.

10Pc Super Strong 90 lbs Neodymium Cup Magnet 1.26" Countersunk Round Base Mounting Magnet Used as Tool Holder and Door Latch w/Screws, Strongest & Most Powerful Rare Earth Magnets by Applied Magnets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFCWIU6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cabinet facing and doors will likely need to come from a custom cabinet maker. I think the 2 faces with doors, refrigerator panels and 2 base cabinets came to around 5k for materials. That cost will depend on your location and materials. Mine were all factory painted on both sides.

Magnets will somewhat depend on your stand and facing. These were a perfect fit and required no countersinking into the facing because the stand’s center steel support post is a little smaller than the 4 big corner posts.

10Pc Super Strong 90 lbs Neodymium Cup Magnet 1.26" Countersunk Round Base Mounting Magnet Used as Tool Holder and Door Latch w/Screws, Strongest & Most Powerful Rare Earth Magnets by Applied Magnets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFCWIU6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Buddy, I’m about to purchase from CDA and they have two stand options, aluminum and carbon steel? I don’t know what the difference is but I liked the one you have. You got it from CD too right? Which one is it?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy, I’m about to purchase from CDA and they have two stand options, aluminum and carbon steel? I don’t know what the difference is but I liked the one you have. You got it from CD too right? Which one is it?

Aluminum is probably really expensive. That'll be the extruded aluminum stand that you can bolt together at home, probably. I got a good old powder coated, mild steel stand.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was powder coated from them, or whoever they sub contracted it out to. As far as powder coating vs epoxy, there's nothing wrong with a good epoxy coat. It actually might be more expensive.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lots has happened. One of those leopard wrasses gave the tank marine herpes, aka ich. I tried to figure something out to house all 4 wrasses, plus the rest of the fish, but ultimately decided to dose the DT with chloroquine phosphate. Definitely not ideal. We'll see how this goes... There were no inverts other than a very small number of snails and hermits. I left the hermits and removed the snails.

I did lose the ornate wrasse [emoji20] He got some sort of nasty wound on his side, and it turned into a bacterial infection. I removed him and put him in a QT with metroplex and kanaplex, but he died. Quite a nasty wound. I'm kind of shocked he made it as long as he did. Sad that the leopards are down to 3, but at least he was my least favorite.

I had an order filled from Live Aquaria for 8 resplendent anthias, and those are downstairs in my 20G fish QT. They look great, and they're eating like champs! I just started copper treatment today. I'm going to try to keep the copper level low, like 1.6ppm. I hope these guys make it. 7 of them really hang on tightly, and 1 is somewhat isolated.

bb8bd10fad21ef9a99b160424a22c8dc.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the fish. I have been looking at CD tank lately and looking for a 72" x 30" x24" tank or just a simple 180 tank.

Back