OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on on the top of your skimmer collection cup?

That’s my anti-stink setup. I feed the skimmer with filtered outside air. And I don’t want my sump to stink, so I put 3/8” tubing through the existing vent holes of the BK Double Cone 200 and that leads to the plastic cup, which holds a bag of carbon on top.

The smell was especially bad when I had the early outbreak of dinos. Not sure what it is about them, but them make the skimmer smell different and bad. Not that normal skimmate smells good, but with dinos, it would stink up thencabinet and then my office and mud room, which I have a fan venting the sump cabinet to.

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an bracing under your tank in your basement? I’m looking to install a new 170 gallon tank on my first floor but with the steel stand and granite slab that sits on the stand the whole thing with water will weigh around 23-2500 pounds.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an bracing under your tank in your basement? I’m looking to install a new 170 gallon tank on my first floor but with the steel stand and granite slab that sits on the stand the whole thing with water will weigh around 23-2500 pounds.

Yes. I have significant amount of reinforcement in the crawl space below this. First, the steel stand is sitting on 3 layers of 3/4” plywood to help evenly distribute load on the wood floors.

Underneath, we used 12x2 LVL beam to reinforce the existing beam, and joists. There’s no noticeable bounce in the floor anymore. LVL was definitely overkill, but good for peace of mind.

Sidius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss.. I had the same thing happen with a Bangaii Cardinal recently. He managed to survive for about a month but never once seemed to eat anything I fed to the tank. I tried frozen mysis, brine, calanus, vitalis pellets both day and night in attempts to get him to eat.. he'd swim up and through the food like he was interested but never actually ate. It's possible he ate once I left the room or fed on pods but after about a month I found him stuck to a power head.

If you don't mind me asking, what is that thing that flows into your refugium from above? Algae Turf Scrubber? The downspout with gate valve seems to flow right into your chaeto.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, what is that thing that flows into your refugium from above? Algae Turf Scrubber? The downspout with gate valve seems to flow right into your chaeto.

That’s a loop. There’s a pump on the left side in the skimmer chamber. It feeds the bottom of the 50W UV sterilizer. Then it flows up and over to the right through an external Aqualogic 50W heater. That dumps into the fuge chamber to help increase flow around the chaeto. It tumbled at first, but now photosynthesis happens so quickly that tiny little bubbles form and make the chaeto float.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so glad I found this build, very nice!

I love your aquascape and your pictures are great! Sorry to hear about the regal angelfish, I want to try one again in my reef but im afraid he will eat my acans

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been through some minor issues including a bryopsis outbreak that I treated with fluconazole. Here’s something rare that’s currently in QT [emoji3]

bbd365b5faccd2db16b497f9ffedd8ab.jpg

3 little ventralis anthias. Along with 2 red saddleback anthias.

I’ll try to take some pics or a video update soon

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some minor setbacks from time to time, but the tank and corals are mostly thriving and growing.

f1538f49c070e821826c647a3d04b600.jpg

d626e00c29825dbafa426510dd7777da.jpg

26ea154ccdb291898f5e96aca2368e48.jpg

The biggest reoccurring problem I have is ostreopsis ovata dinos. As a result, I always keep my UV flow set right, and I run microbubbles in my display 5 minutes per hour.

I’m also up to 7 GHL Mitras over the tank. I have more even lighting as a result. The sandbed is about 300 par. Low rocks are 325 or so. The peak is about 450, but that’s only in limited areas. Most of the acros are in 350-400 par. The only problem I had with this level of all LED lighting is some UV burn that would occur in some corals, but not others. Here’s a sample UV burn

71f50d41a38158820808af8d6330752f.jpg

I had to add some additional cooking to the upper cabinet, due to the 2 extra lights. It was causing the temp to run hot in the cabinet, and of the water. I used 140mm Be Quiet fans. They are nearly silent, and the water temp is noticeably down.

946b3179ab4b10ad5e9a9a1333ce6fc5.jpg

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flow do you keep you UV at to deal with the dino’s?

Thanks

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on a business trip and I came back to a missing rhomboidalis fairy wrasse, small foxface, and sunburst anthias. No evidence left [emoji22] I started from dry rock so I can’t imagine something like a bob it.

The rhomboidalis could be a result of fighting with the pintail fairy. The others I’m not sure. I see some of them have damaged mouths. Maybe due to jumping into the cover or fighting. I feed 2/3 times a day, but when I’m out of town, it drops to once a day.

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the lack of updates! The tank is still up and thriving. I just got chosen WAMAS TOTM!

I still feel like I have a long way to go with the aquarium, but it's making good progress lately.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your fish list, you’re one of the few tanks that size that does not have a tang. Are you specifically avoiding them?

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs tend to be jerks, especially to copperband butterflies. I have 2 in my frag tank, since I don't have a CBB there.

With the fish density that I keep, I try to make sure everyone gets along. Tangs just start being jerks for no particularly good reason, even to non-similar species. My scribbled rabbitfish, red fin blenny, and girdled angelfish do a good job of picking at algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back