Warren's Triton results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating info. Thanks guys. I should probably make or buy new calibration fluid. I see TLF is making some available now. Also maybe I'll shoot for 34ppt instead of 35 on my refractometer.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating info. Thanks guys. I should probably make or buy new calibration fluid. I see TLF is making some available now. Also maybe I'll shoot for 34ppt instead of 35 on my refractometer.

All of us should keep our salinity level the same.

Gene

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is natural seawater so I'm shooting for 1.026 the triton test lined up pretty well with my refractometer I'll have to get the brand name of the calibration solution I'm using would be interesting to see if the refractometer calibrated with different calibration solution got the same results compared to the triton results

Last edited:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Keithcorals, according to my spreadsheet, your first test was at 34.6 PPT, and your second test was 34.4.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Keithcorals, according to my spreadsheet, your first test was at 34.6 PPT, and your second test was 34.4.

Thanks that's what I was shooting for just at or just under 35ppt. It would be nice to see that on the triton test for those of us less mathematically inclined

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does Triton feel about the use of the BIOPELLET reactor? Is the crux of your interest in triton mostly for trace element analysis or overall system and nutrient levels? I thought their method called for a macro algae Refugium and would frown upon BPR? Sorry to interrupt but I've been considering the value of triton and wondering if the value is in the quality of their water analysis or in taking their full on approach. Thanks

OP
OP
wangspeed

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just interested in the water analysis portion. You don't have to use the entire triton method for the water analysis to be useful.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does Triton feel about the use of the BIOPELLET reactor? Is the crux of your interest in triton mostly for trace element analysis or overall system and nutrient levels? I thought their method called for a macro algae Refugium and would frown upon BPR? Sorry to interrupt but I've been considering the value of triton and wondering if the value is in the quality of their water analysis or in taking their full on approach. Thanks

Triton encourages experimentation with various gadgets and methods. That being said I guess you could say that a true triton method tank would not utilize a biopellet reactor. The reason for this is several reasons. One is that it adds complication to an already proven, simple system that works. Triton would define this piece of equipment as another variable and point of failure to maintain. Nutrients are kept in check via the macro-algae filter (Im not a big fan of the word refugium) and since water must flow through that section for the sump to be working, failure is extremely unlikely. The benefits of using algae seem to further add to its appeal. On systems that need help lowering the phosphates, a po4 reactor is utilized. In the past, tanks that ran biopellets seemed to showed Triton results with elevated levels of copper. (Ehsan said the biopellets contained copper sulfate) Im sure newer models of pellets exist that lack the copper so you may be ok in this department. I personally think working with bacteria in a fashion that is manageable and one that is not laced with potential points of failures is a worthwhile endeavor. Guys are running the natureef bio filter and have raved about the results. It effectively maintains ultra low levels of po4 and no3 once it is dialed in and working. Basically, feel free to experiment. Triton has a proven simple system that when followed, will provide great results for sps tanks. Tweaking and customizing one's tank is always expected and in the end you may achieve the same goal in an even simpler fashion.

The testing is separate from the ICP testing. Any reefer can benefit from this test as it provides information usable on any reef system. I feel the best product in the triton lineup is the Base Elementz. When this is used in place of a traditional two part, all the macro and trace elements are added in equal proportions with the goal of maintaining stable NSW levels of all elements. This is why water changes are not done once things are dialed in. When one gets their water chemistry dialed in, why would you want to change it out and possibly introduce variables. That to me is the essence of the Triton method.

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wangspeed. Ultimately what has been ur approach to remedy any concerning initial test results and did you feel it was/has been a numbers chase?

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good clip thanks. Daskti will surely go far. I have ordered my tests and eager.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back