Was just a matter of time....imported wild rock is done...

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...after getting all the updates on the situation in Fiji.....is my opinion that Pukani dry rock is going the way of the dinosaurs.

It does not look like the government of Fiji/United States is going to allow the export of Pukani, and any other live/dry rock out of Fiji anymore, except for man made rock.

This will mean a total shift from rock harvested/cultured in the wild to ever be imported into the US ever again.

We all knew this was coming, eventually, just as the closures in the Marshall Islands, Tonga...ext. was just a matter of time.

It is a good thing for the hobby and our environment, but will be shift in the industry, in a good way.

The future is now......

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened years ago w/ live rock from Panama. First it was certain restrictions - weight, etc then a total ban. I have a large piece today which is probably priceless that my anemones camp on.

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is sad as Walt has been supporting the Islands for many many years...his coral projects...amazing...but he is facing the tree huggers that don't get the big picture...he has done more for the reefs than anybody in the history of the industry has done for coral restoration...like Ken Neidelmier from the Keys....These guys should be helped...not put out of business.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh, it’s good for the reef, but that sucks for the folks who depend on it for their livelihood and the kicker of it like you said is that those are the folks that do the most for the protection and preservation of the environment in the big picture.

I wonder if maricultured rock will become a thing. If it’s ok to export man made rock, could you export man made rock that you left on the seabed for 6 months and then went and picked up? Obviously pricing would change, but other than that could that be viable?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's good for the reef, but I see a whole new market for "money scroungers" selling live rock on forums - culture at home, sell on line or "flea bay" for $$$

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black market?you think one day you'll pull up to your lfs and some guy in a van will go "psst hey buddy looking for some good stuff.i got a whole bunch of pukani rock fresh from the ocean."probably not but if one does i'll probably take a look.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there some recent announcement / news on this? WSI posted on March 7 that the ban has been lifted.

https://m.facebook.com/waltsmith.fiji/

From the post:

I know its been over a month since we have put out an update, and trust me when I say we have been in the offices of the government every day of this 70 day ban.

Walt and Dave spent this time providing data and records to show the Prime Minister and his staff how WSI operates and the sustainable efforts we have already established in the 23 years we have been in Fiji. After many long presentations and meetings the Prime Minister was convinced of our success, honesty and commitment to the Fiji Reefs.

The government will be setting up an monitoring team to ensure compliance and work with us on the future of Fiji's Reefs, ensuring they will be around for everyone to enjoy forever.

We openly welcome all of this as we have always had an open door policy toward our government.

We can now officially say that the Fiji Coral ban has now been lifted and our quota for 2018 is being restored.

WSI still has a rough road ahead of us in getting everything back on track but this is a huge hurdle and we are excited to be able to start getting back to normal business.

Additionally we would like to thank many of you for donating to The ADE Project and this played a huge part in showing our industries commitment to sustainability. It is not to late to also help show your support and be part of the huge rehabilitation program for Fiji.

www.adeproject.org

www.waltsmith.com

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back