Was wondering what equipment I would need to purchase to run a successful 50.3 AIO

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I am thinking about upgrading from my fluval flex 32, to the water box 50.3 peninsula AIO. I already have a 32HD, so I believe that should be good enough in terms of lighting, but I was wondering what else I would need. I have been lead to believe I would need a skimmer, a wave maker, and filtration media. The filtration media would be my biggest question for what I should put in it. The measurements are

Filter media 5.1” X 4.7” X 17.7”
Pump Chamber is 4.7” X 5.5” X 17.7”
Filter sock 6.3” X 4.7” X 17.7”
Filtration Chamber 19.7” X 4.7” X 17.7”

IMG_0673.png IMG_0672.png IMG_0671.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question, well worded and illustrated with photos. I regret that I cannot supply a helpful answer but I did want to complement you on your thoughtful and clear questions.

I trust that real help will arrive shortly! Have a great day! :cool:

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can probably get away with a return pump and a lid if you have any fish. I ran my 10-gallon AIO with no skimmer. If you need more flow, you could get a small powerhead of some sort. The rocks/substrate you put into the tank act as a place where bacteria can form and help battle algae and keep other parameters stable. You can add a skimmer and filtermedia for extra ease of keeping your tank in check but is not needed.

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably get away with a return pump and a lid if you have any fish. I ran my 10-gallon AIO with no skimmer. If you need more flow, you could get a small powerhead of some sort. The rocks/substrate you put into the tank act as a place where bacteria can form and help battle algae and keep other parameters stable. You can add a skimmer and filtermedia for extra ease of keeping your tank in check but is not needed.
Well it is a 50 gallon tank, and I was told by some of my friends that if I ever got above 35 gallons I would need a skimmer. As well as, with it being a peninsula wouldn’t I want a power head located on the other side of the tank to generate more flow?

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can still get away with no skimmer. In my opinion, a skimmer just helps with the ease of getting waste out of the tank. With the powerhead, you can keep it on the same side as the return pump to help with the additional flow.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For skimmer, there are a handful of compact units that would fit in one of your AIO chambers. This one from Tunze appears to be well reviewed, and rated up to 66 gallons per the Tunze website: https://amzn.to/41QXUqF

For wavemakers, there are countless options. From experience I'd recommend 1 or 2 gyres, they do a great job at moving water with a wide spread. I just bought 2 of these Jebao units to supplement my MP40s on my 70 gallon display, my anemone and corals are very happy with them so far and I'm only running them at ~40% power in classic wave mode. They create a nice standing wave and surface agitation. The mobile app is clunky, but they are easy to control with the controllers. https://amzn.to/41YRrKr

For filtration media, you can add filter floss in the first chamber for mechanical filtration if you like, though many don't even bother with mechanical filtration these days. I use this filter floss in my frag system, it's cheap enough that you can just throw it away and cut a new piece to replace it with regularly. https://amzn.to/3tOl2ty

I also like running high quality activated carbon in a tightly packed media bag for water clarity and peace of mind against any contiminants.

Good luck with your new system, I love waterbox and if I ever buy a new system that's not DIY, that's what I'd go with!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For skimmer, there are a handful of compact units that would fit in one of your AIO chambers. This one from Tunze appears to be well reviewed, and rated up to 66 gallons per the Tunze website: https://amzn.to/41QXUqF

For wavemakers, there are countless options. From experience I'd recommend 1 or 2 gyres, they do a great job at moving water with a wide spread. I just bought 2 of these Jebao units to supplement my MP40s on my 70 gallon display, my anemone and corals are very happy with them so far and I'm only running them at ~40% power in classic wave mode. They create a nice standing wave and surface agitation. The mobile app is clunky, but they are easy to control with the controllers. https://amzn.to/41YRrKr

For filtration media, you can add filter floss in the first chamber for mechanical filtration if you like, though many don't even bother with mechanical filtration these days. I use this filter floss in my frag system, it's cheap enough that you can just throw it awat and cut a new piece to replace it with regularly. https://amzn.to/3tOl2ty

I also like running high quality activated carbon in a tightly packed media bag for water clarity and peace of mind against any contiminants.

Good luck with your new system, I love waterbox and if I ever buy a new system that's not DIY, that's what I'd go with!
Thank you so much for the advice, I was wondering would you recommend me going with a filter sponge and a filter sock like it originally comes with or just running that filtration floss stuff?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponges and socks work great, but I hate cleaning them, so I just use floss that I can throw away and replace. Otherwise you're cleaning socks and sponges weekly or more.

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponges and socks work great, but I hate cleaning them, so I just use floss that I can throw away and replace. Otherwise you're cleaning socks and sponges weekly or more.
Ah I see, what about some of those rocks I’ve seen in the filtration?

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio rings not needed if you have rock in your display. Reef-grade activated carbon will cover the water-clarifying purpose of "charcoal".
So like I mentioned I was planning on moving my 33 gallon into that, could I directly just move all the water, substrate, and live rock and coral over all at once?Because I plan to put the tank in the same space my other tank is currently in. And without needing to cycle it, it would save a lot of time.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use all the old sand and rock for sure, and then add additional new sand and rock as needed. There's no need to re-use the water, you can make new saltwater. You can, though, if you like. Keep in mind the new system is larger, so you'll need to add more water regardless and get it up to temperature.

What I'd do is:

Fill tank with new saltwater, run it with heater and pumps on til temperature is good. Turn off pumps, move sand over, wait til it settles. Turn pumps back on, move rock over. Then you can move the fish and corals over as well.

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use all the old sand and rock for sure, and then add additional new sand and rock as needed. There's no need to re-use the water, you can make new saltwater. You can, though, if you like. Keep in mind the new system is larger, so you'll need to add more water regardless and get it up to temperature.

What I'd do is:

Fill tank with new saltwater, run it with heater and pumps on til temperature is good. Turn off pumps, move sand over, wait til it settles. Turn pumps back on, move rock over. Then you can move the fish and corals over as well.
I did everything you said, with the exception of the substrate. I opted to get new substrate because my old one was filthy. Thank you so much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back