Washing canister filter media

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am in the first stages of converting my FW tank over to SW. One major problem I have had for decades is Brown Algae (diatoms)

I intend to use my existing canister filter for the SW tank. My question is, Could I run the filter pads and bio balls through the washing machine on hot a couple times to ensure the cleanest possible media for my new setup?

Thanks,
Steve

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you can clean them and they should be fine.

We ran a fx6 on our 75g for a year and got rid of the plastic balls and used quartz bio rings. We did use filter floss or phosgaurd when needed which was nice as the canisters have compartments for each.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place for the bio balls and rings is in the garbage can.

This type of media has *ZERO* benefit in a SW or FW tank with even small amounts of rock or substrate. The amount of beneficial bacteria in a SW or FW tank is based on your bioload and available ammonia. Bio Wheels, balls, rings, tetrahedrons, etc. don't make your tank healthier. They just cause a small amount of bacteria to migrate there.

Fill it full of polyester filter floss and your water will be nice and sparkly clear for pennies.

Here's a really sneaky secret. If you have nitrate issues fill a media bag full of bio pellets and stuff that in a cannister. They don't need reactor - just water flow.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is to NOT introduce these dreaded diatoms into my new system. As I drain my tank, I am appalled at, what appeared to be crystal clear water, is actually very brown. Even with regular water changes and filter cleaning I have a gazillion of these horrible monsters suspended in my water column.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol diatoms will get in your tank even if you use white dead manmade rock.. and white dead manmade sand.. and the cleanest purest rodi water and salt you can find.

In 1-2 weeks if cycling youre tank will be covered in diatoms. Its just the way things are.

The diatom bloom should go away once the tank matures more..

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am in the first stages of converting my FW tank over to SW. One major problem I have had for decades is Brown Algae (diatoms)

I intend to use my existing canister filter for the SW tank. My question is, Could I run the filter pads and bio balls through the washing machine on hot a couple times to ensure the cleanest possible media for my new setup?

Thanks,
Steve
Diatoms feed of silica in the water in my experience. Your using RODI?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms feed of silica in the water in my experience. Your using RODI?

99.9% of the ssnd in the ocean has silica in it. So if you buy sand and use it.. youre gonna have silicates in the water.. there is no way getting around that.. same with rock. Man made..or reef rocks. Itll have silicates

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back