Waste Water and Septic

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2016
Messages
2,293
Reaction score
2,775
Location
Akron Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are those with septic systems disposing of waste water after water changes? I change 5 gallons every two weeks.
 
I do about 30 a month and I just drain it out the widow . Never had a problem with it killing the grass or my wife’s flowers . I won’t dump it in my septic tank . I was told by my plumber it would mess it up .
 
Outside in some rocks would be fine, just as long as you aren’t directly next to a stream or waterbody
 
30 gallons a week down the drain in to a septic tank. With the amount of laundry, bath,and dish soap going in it I doubt a little saltwater is going to hurt anything.
 
I left out the house I moved into has a 50 year old original septic system. Although the inspector said its in great shape for the age, I do not want to put any more wear and tear then needed.

I will dump the water in my yard.
 
I've been dumping my waste water down my septic tank for 35+ years.
Last time I had it it pumped, maybe 8 years ago, they guy said everything looked normal ( I ask every time).
One thing I may have going for my septic system is I use a python water change hose when uses faucet pressure to create a faster flow and as a result dilutes the saltwater.
 
I always dumped mine outside in the rocks, granted I was at an apartment so this never caused any issues
 
Depending on the weather..

Salt water goes in the toilet or out on the grass, I don't dump it in the driveway because of the cars

Ro discharge goes into the sump pump which pumps to the edge of the yard into a dry well
 
Just flush it.

10 gallons a month won't do anything to your septic.

Saltwater won't affect the performance of your septic or harm the bacteria at all.

And if you have a grinder pump, such a small amount of saltwater should be pretty diluted by the time the pump deals with it, so the likelihood of any corrosion problems is likely very low.

The only potential risk you run is eventually salting the soil of your leach field. If your were doing hundreds of gallons a month, it might kill off any grass or plants in your leach field after several years.

But it would probably take a century to salt the soil with just 120 gallons a year.

That said, I was doing 32 gallon water changes each month for the past 3 years into our septic and had no problems.
 
Last edited:
At my old place, I was dumping into my sump pump and out the to drain connection at the road. Did this for many years and no harm to my sump. This was when I had a 220 setup and was doing 50 gallon weekly changes.
 
Doesn’t hurt it, 4 g per week down mine. I do watch which types of soaps, tp, no grease etc. septic safe stuff.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new