Watanabei Angelfish in QT

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Watanabei angelfish in my observation QT tank for a couple weeks now. He was eating great but now seems more picky and isn’t eating as well. Unsure if I should start meds are not, I don’t see outward signs of disease.

Attachments

• IMG_7675.mov
    28.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had a Watanabei angelfish in my observation QT tank for a couple weeks now. He was eating great but now seems more picky and isn’t eating as well. Unsure if I should start meds are not, I don’t see outward signs of disease.
Fish is somewhat labor swimming and hanging in the area of flow. Video was short and fish moving alot. I dont see anything off the top but fish appears either full or constipated but need longer video or still pics to see further.

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took some more photos. She was rubbing her head on some rocks too. And I maybe seeing some white spots on her tail as I zoom in.
I’ve had her 3 weeks or so, no meds yet but she was eating well until about 2-3 days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_7683.jpeg
    IMG_7683.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 27

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got two around that size and they were both very awkward swimmers at first, similar to yours, so that doesn't concern me.

One of the two was a bit bloated like yours, but only because she's a pig and picks at everything all day (the only fish I've seen farting, btw). As long as she's skinny again in the morning or later on in the day, you're good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fish being positively buoyant. That is pretty common with newly collected fish of this species. It is due to gas in the swim bladder building up due to lower pressure at the surface from where they are found, and possibly from the divers using needle to decompress them. This is not treatable (I've even built a pressure tank to try on them). It does go away on its own in some cases.

I have also seen this species "fart" as @Griev mentioned, so there is also the possibility that the extra gas is in the digestive track and not the swim bladder.

All that aside, I never use just observational quarantine, things get started up in new fish that need to be treated. In this case, I would be leaning towards flukes, I normally start fish off with coppersafe, but in this case, you might want to start with Prazipro for flukes, 2 treatments, 8 days apart with good aeration.

Another option would be hyposalinity: that will handle flukes, and also marine ich. It will not handle velvet like copper does though. The added benefit of hypo is that the fish would be less buoyant, so would get some relief from that.

jay

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fish being positively buoyant. That is pretty common with newly collected fish of this species. It is due to gas in the swim bladder building up due to lower pressure at the surface from where they are found, and possibly from the divers using needle to decompress them. This is not treatable (I've even built a pressure tank to try on them). It does go away on its own in some cases.

I have also seen this species "fart" as @Griev mentioned, so there is also the possibility that the extra gas is in the digestive track and not the swim bladder.

All that aside, I never use just observational quarantine, things get started up in new fish that need to be treated. In this case, I would be leaning towards flukes, I normally start fish off with coppersafe, but in this case, you might want to start with Prazipro for flukes, 2 treatments, 8 days apart with good aeration.

Another option would be hyposalinity: that will handle flukes, and also marine ich. It will not handle velvet like copper does though. The added benefit of hypo is that the fish would be less buoyant, so would get some relief from that.

jay
Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up dosing prazipro last night but the fish was gone by this morning. I was hoping I was in the clear on swim bladder issues with it being a few weeks out. Does that often show up several weeks delayed? The fish did swim a little funny from the start but it was eating well and had body control.

Thanks for your time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up dosing prazipro last night but the fish was gone by this morning. I was hoping I was in the clear on swim bladder issues with it being a few weeks out. Does that often show up several weeks delayed? The fish did swim a little funny from the start but it was eating well and had body control.

Thanks for your time.
Sorry to hear! Yes, I’ve had swim bladder issues show up later on, but usually within 40 days of importation.
Jay

Back