Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a fts on this thread I would love to see what they all look like together
I dont do full tank shots, I understand macro photography but not so good at much anything else with a a camera
i think that yellow acro is a pink floyd?
It actually is not a pink floyd, I have one of those in my tank. the polyps on this yellow acre are not red, just brownish. And it is a slightly different variation of yellow.
Nice pictures. What camera are you using?
I use a Sony Alpha 7riii but i wish I had gotten a Canon because of the white balance that Canons afford you with reef lighting. I really work hard color correcting with my Sony and lightroom.
Beautiful photos! Any idea what kind of par the rainbow chalice gets?
I have never used a par meter. don't really know where to get my hands on one to try.

Sorry for missing in action for a while. Had a couple of non-reefing projects that took up so much of my time for a while. I miss posting and sharing my coral. Colors are blossoming currently. Most things are doing really well. I am always surprised when one or two pieces are not happy. But I think we all find that a coral or two will seemingly struggle or go dormant for some time and then rebound. The one pictured below is doing really well and it is so pretty and colorful

coral-1.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oldie but goodie, Garth Bonzai. There seem to be be lots of variants/morphs/mislabels of this classic. I have this just off the sand and surrounded by all kinds of stinging lps but it recovers quickly from stings and remains gorgeous! I got this frag from Vivid a long while ago, I thought the colony it came from was remarkable. I always believe if the mother is gorgeous, overtime the frag will grow into itself and mirror the mother, most likely. Oh, and I don't have really any idea what makes a Garth Bonzai the real deal or not. I simply thought the mother of this frag was a beauty.

Garth Bonzai

coral-61.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a classic for a reason, beautiful!

Lookin amazing As usual. Your bonzi is off the hook.
Thank you guys for your comments.

This is a hard to look at photo because there are branches coming into and out of focus but I really like the tapestry of colors. Now which vendor is going to use "tapestry" as their next new name. I want dibs on that name first.

coral-92.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Z's Red Granulosa, takes a while to get growing but then it has some pretty colors associated with it. I haven't seen another with this coloration. I had a small colony, lost it when I was without power for days, got a frag back from a friend and voila, a year plus later a reborn colony. Friends are what makes reefing so much fun.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A close-up of a monti that a good friend shared with me a while ago, hence the name RB which in this case stands for Reefer Buddy. a very close up picture with a 90 mm macro lens and cropped very tightly. It was hand held like 99.999% of my photos are. Monti's can be challenging to zoom in because the coloring and form lead to some crazy refractive properties. But this picture made me smile.

Z's RB Monti

coral-212.jpg

And a pretty old school chalice below that just sits in my frag tank. I don't let it encrust on anything and it seems to get bumped all the time and ends up upside down probably as much as it is right side up. But even with all the abuse, it remains healthy and pretty.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Z's Showtime

Extraordinary pink acro and not a tenuis which makes it even more unusual. I have it shown under reefbrite xho's and then followed with metal halides for those who like that whitish look.

And since I have pictures of my Z's RB (Reefer Buddy) monti on this page, I though I would add this video. The first few seconds are the monti out of water and then back in. I also think it is extraordinary. I t looks great under whites but I only took reefbrite xho of it for this .

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to see my harlequin shrimp out and about the other day so i quickly grabbed my camera. Only my blues were on and I didn't want to spook the fella or gal by turning on more lights so i just snapped four quick pictures. Wish I had whiter light for them though, the contrast would have been much better. Nonetheless, this is video from four of the photos that I was able to get. The shrimp wandered off after I got these few shots in.

this is one of my dragon type acro, it looks great under blues. Z's Boo Boo

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC Heartbreaker My colony is getting really big. A number of my colonies are now hitting that stage where the growth is virtually geometric because of the size they have finally reached. Its a fun stage because it feels good but it is also a telling age because the growth is literally too much and my tank is 180 gallon tank. It is an observation not a complaint. I am a happy guy with a happy tank with a bunch of acro colonies overgrowing each other. Good days, indeed.

I really like WWC Red Ferrari Thats probably why I keep posting so many pictures of it. I think it is so beautiful under blue leds

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colonies and great photos. It is amazing how fast they can add skeleton when they are big. At some point it becomes a real challenge to maintain flow and light. Two pics of my old classic blue/green Valida. Finally had to cut it out of there at 14" across in a 5 foot tank. It was shading everything out everything else.
Right side.JPG
IMG-4750.JPG

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colonies and great photos. It is amazing how fast they can add skeleton when they are big. At some point it becomes a real challenge to maintain flow and light. Two pics of my old classic blue/green Valida. Finally had to cut it out of there at 14" across in a 5 foot tank. It was shading everything out everything else.
Hey your tank looks gorgeous. Some outstanding growth.

Z's Superman

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow just wow!! Thanks for sharing!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back