Watchman Goby Pairing Compatibility

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently brought home a pink spot watchman goby, and I'm now contemplating pairing it. I'm alright with getting another pink spot, however, I'm wondering if it's at all possible that it would pair with a similar species of watchman goby. I've done a little digging but I ultimately couldn't find any information on the subject that really answers my question. I believe I am in somewhat of an okay position to take a risk, as I have a 190 gallon tank with a 4ftx2.5ft footprint and a decent amount of rockwork near the sandbed. I assume this is a large enough area to accommodate two separate specimens if they so choose to not pair, however that is all as far as plan b's go. I do not have a QT tank set up, as I don't exact have enough livestock to justify it at the moment. One is planned in the future however.

My question(s):
1. Is it possible to pair a pink spot watchman with a member of a similar species?
2. If so, which species?
3. How much of a risk would I be taking in making said attempt?
4. Is there anything else I'm not considering?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently brought home a pink spot watchman goby, and I'm now contemplating pairing it. I'm alright with getting another pink spot, however, I'm wondering if it's at all possible that it would pair with a similar species of watchman goby. I've done a little digging but I ultimately couldn't find any information on the subject that really answers my question. I believe I am in somewhat of an okay position to take a risk, as I have a 190 gallon tank with a 4ftx2.5ft footprint and a decent amount of rockwork near the sandbed. I assume this is a large enough area to accommodate two separate specimens if they so choose to not pair, however that is all as far as plan b's go. I do not have a QT tank set up, as I don't exact have enough livestock to justify it at the moment. One is planned in the future however.

My question(s):
1. Is it possible to pair a pink spot watchman with a member of a similar species?
2. If so, which species?
3. How much of a risk would I be taking in making said attempt?
4. Is there anything else I'm not considering?
They may fight in pair but as your tank is big enough, they might co exist so, u can take a risk.

Let's See what others say

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many goby's, including the pink spot, have the ability to change sex, so getting the same goby might work out. (or not)

Even getting a similar goby, they might pair and share the same cave, I've seen posts on here from others.

And if they choose not to be friendly to each other, your tank is super big, there should be plenty of room for 2 grouchy goby's.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many goby's, including the pink spot, have the ability to change sex, so getting the same goby might work out. (or not)

Even getting a similar goby, they might pair and share the same cave, I've seen posts on here from others.

And if they choose not to be friendly to each other, your tank is super big, there should be plenty of room for 2 grouchy goby's.
Which species of Goby would you think be similar enough to my pink spot? Also, even if they pair, would you think they could produce viable offspring? It’s not particularly a requirement. I’m just curious.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back