Water bottle label adhesive leached to new saltwater

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a few frozen water bottles that still had the label on them to cool the 20g of saltwater I made. Silly me didn't remove them so 2 days later there's all these stringy looking things in there that I'm assuming are the adhesive. I'm already making more rodi but would this water be safe to use? I know many people use frozen water bottles to cool tanks and even removing the label there's still adhesive left. I'm guilty of this and haven't had any issues.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what the adhesive is made of. Most soda bottle adhesive residue shouldn't effect water chemistry.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a few frozen water bottles that still had the label on them to cool the 20g of saltwater I made. Silly me didn't remove them so 2 days later there's all these stringy looking things in there that I'm assuming are the adhesive. I'm already making more rodi but would this water be safe to use? I know many people use frozen water bottles to cool tanks and even removing the label there's still adhesive left. I'm guilty of this and haven't had any issues.

Ive had water bottle labels come off while in the tank like you, and never experienced any issue.
Pics would certainly help.
Stringy looking things could be anything from Dino’s, to bacteria to... well you get the idea.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Containers for food or beverage must use safer materials than say paint or insecticide cans. They assume some are going be in contact with food.
Good to go.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back