Water change caused death

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard chromis can actually be challenging to keep due to their great susceptibility to a parasite called uronema, which is hard to get out of a tank once it's in there.
Out of 21 chromis purchased a year ago, I have -2 left. Yes, -2. I have 3 of the chromis but lost 5 other prized fish to the uronema the chromis brought in and my own stupidity. Now the 3 survivors are the biggest meanest chromis I have ever seen but that gives you some idea of their mortality rate to uronema. There's a good possibility I would have more if I hadn't tried hyposalinity but who knows. They are definitely risky.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yea some say slow drip or some say fast dump. But this was in there for months and survived all the water changes and other finned inhabitants since so it’s like losing a master corporal. He was well accustomed to the salt environment. Take it with a grain of salt I guess (no pun intended)
Ah okay I thought you just dumped it in before the WC. I agree with leaving the sand be, quite the opposite from freshwater and was a strange thing to me too!

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swings it towards oxygen levels over ammonia.

If the tank was very low in oxygen even a very small reduction could have put it below what the fish needed. I'm surprised nobody asked for a FTS yet.
What’s an FTS?
But I can see this oxygen issue, yes cause the water wasn’t moving for a good 40mins?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your input! I always hesitate to chime in on posts due to my being so immature to the salt hobby. I read a bunch about salt mollies before I decided on the first inhabitant and I knew that it wasn’t going to stay forever but I also knew that if it died then it would be the tipping point. Now that I have this one blood shrimp and a bunch of corals including porites which are presumably harder to keep, I’m stumped. Firstly I think - do another water change just water in a couple days, let the new filter kick in, then find a few Chromis or a single sand sifting goby. I do want to ensure new fish won’t die by jumping so a mesh top is on the way!
Be careful with the chromis as others have said. I went and found a trio that had been together since they were tiny and bought them that way. They have been with me almost a year now. No picking on each other, one is for sure in charge since he is larger. The other two follow his lead. I really do like my chromis though! I call them the zoomies, very active

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay I thought you just dumped it in before the WC. I agree with leaving the sand be, quite the opposite from freshwater and was a strange thing to me too!
Right? It’s so hard not to look at the dirty sand and leave it alone.

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of 21 chromis purchased a year ago, I have -2 left. Yes, -2. I have 3 of the chromis but lost 5 other prized fish to the uronema the chromis brought in and my own stupidity. Now the 3 survivors are the biggest meanest chromis I have ever seen but that gives you some idea of their mortality rate to uronema. There's a good possibility I would have more if I hadn't tried hyposalinity but who knows. They are definitely risky.

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a good clean up crew! They make all the difference
I will buy some snails for sure. I’d love an urchin but I’m scared it’ll die too because I don’t have fish now lol it’s a vicious circle eh

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uronema. New word for my vocabulary.
How did you know? I have a microscope but am a tad queasy to dissect anything. Is that how you knew?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will buy some snails for sure. I’d love an urchin but I’m scared it’ll die too because I don’t have fish now lol it’s a vicious circle eh
Yeah wait on the urchin, they need an established tank!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost never clean the sand... like maybe every 3 or 4 years in small amounts spread over a year.

Skimmer should always go back on the tank. The gas exchange and oxygenation is too important.

This was probably covered, but don't do so much at once next time. These tanks are ecosystems, if you are lucky, and you don't want to disturb too much at one time.

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Tank Shot, I believe -- a clear picture of your entire aquarium
E06C2A63-B8AE-48AC-BC9F-108C408D7D1B.jpeg

Here’s a FTS, I added the skimmer back just before I took this.

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost never clean the sand... like maybe every 3 or 4 years in small amounts spread over a year.

Skimmer should always go back on the tank. The gas exchange and oxygenation is too important.

This was probably covered, but don't do so much at once next time. These tanks are ecosystems, if you are lucky, and you don't want to disturb too much at one time.
Yes I think that was the issue. I did too much at once :(

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back