Water change for the hospital tank in copper treatment

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hospital tank treating a fish with cupramine (at 0.5 -0.6) at this moment. Today is the 3rd day. The fish seems eating ok, but I do see her lost appetizer a little. The hospital tank is a little dirty now and the ammonia is on the rise (0.25). I am going to do 10-20% water change. (NOT water top off)

Question for water change and replenish copper dosage: I think using the display tank water is better because the water will be dosage with the copper before changing water to the HT, that should kill free swimming ich if any before adding the water to the HT, and it will make the fish easier transitioning/released into DT after treatment later, do you think so?

Or should I just make saltwater from clean RO/DI water for the intended purpose?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's ich in your display, it may be better to mix fresh seawater.

+1 No need to introduce more possible free swimmers into the QT. However, if you are getting an ammonia reading and don't have freshly mixed SW on hand... Use DT water to get that ammonia down ASAP.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guys here. It's always best to use fresh made saltwater for QT purposes, but in a pinch you can use the DT water. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though.

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 No need to introduce more possible free swimmers into the QT. However, if you are getting an ammonia reading and don't have freshly mixed SW on hand... Use DT water to get that ammonia down ASAP.
I know this is an old thread but I am dealing with my first ich and I have a question. How do I maintain copper
Level while doing water change? Simply remove a few gallons of old HT water, replace with new rodi salt mix and then add copper to bring the level back up to what it was just before the water change or is there something else I should do?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use new RODI + your salt to make the saltwater mix.

Once mixed and ready, and this varies from salt blend to salt blend, how long to mix before adding to your tank. Then dose the new water with the copper at the same level as what is in the tank.

Then add the new saltwater with the copper mixed, to the hospital/QT.

Never let the copper level drop in the hospital/QT. If it does, you have to restart the clock.

new2reefing123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once mixed and ready, and this varies from salt blend to salt blend, how long to mix before adding to your tank. Then dose the new water with the copper at the same level as what is in the tank.

Never let the copper level drop in the hospital/QT. If it does, you have to restart the clock.
Thank you. Just to confirm that I read you right.
Test copper level, then Remove x amount of gallons. fresh rodi and salt(let mix). Add copper to equal amount in hospital tank, then add new mix to tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Just to confirm that I read you right.
Test copper level, then Remove x amount of gallons. fresh rodi and salt(let mix). Add copper to equal amount in hospital tank, then add new mix to tank.
Exactly. You replace the dirty, copper dosed saltwater with new saltwater dosed with copper to the exact same level.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and make sure to top off the evaporated water with RODI, before you remove any of the old dirty saltwater. Otherwise your salinity will start creeping upward.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do we need to do a water change during the copper treatment? What level of ammonia is the max we can reach before we need to change and what water percentage change should we make?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Under what level would you need to restart? 4 days from a .5 reading(Hanna) I'm reading .39 now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back