Water change idea

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is supposed to be alive in the water column and can new water be cultured before a large water change?

I’m wondering if mixing new water outside adding a little old tank water and letting it grow in the sun for a few days before performing a large water change is a good idea or not?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is supposed to be alive in the water column and can new water be cultured before a large water change?

I’m wondering if mixing new water outside adding a little old tank water and letting it grow in the sun for a few days before performing a large water change is a good idea or not?

Once bacteria is established in your tank, it attaches to every surface.
There isn't a ton of it in the water column. Main reasons for a water change is to export nutrients such as Nitrate, phosphates, organic and inorganic waste and add elements in the salt mix to the water column.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once bacteria is established in your tank, it attaches to every surface.
There isn't a ton of it in the water column. Main reasons for a water change is to export nutrients such as Nitrate, phosphates, organic and inorganic waste and add elements in the salt mix to the water column.
I believe I have a strong bacteria population. The tank has been running for 6 years. I stopped water changes because of Dino and I would like to replace the water without causing a bloom. My tank is looking really good right now no Dino blooms in months but I can still find them in microscope. My nutrients are not really high No3 around 6ppm phosphate 0.18 but I’m going through ALK faster than calcium and maybe a large water change will help the imbalance. I’m dosing core7 calcium is over 500 and ALK will drop to 6dkh in four days from 8dkh even with dosing the recommended amount of core7.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read any of this thread:

I get what your saying, I've been battling dino's for years now.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read any of this thread:

I get what your saying, I've been battling dino's for years now.
Yes I have read that thread many times and I probably would have gave up this hobby if I didn’t get help from all the great people there.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Starvation is there cue” is what got me thinking about water changes and I have been growing green water outside started with tank water and haven’t seen a single Dino outside.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Starvation is there cue” is what got me thinking about water changes and I have been growing green water outside started with tank water and haven’t seen a single Dino outside.

I've tried everything except temperature. Adding bacteria, lights out for 80 hours, adding copepods, no water changes for two months, h2O2 dosing, UV attached to the DT, vacuumed sand every other day...etc. nothing works.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything except temperature. Adding bacteria, lights out for 80 hours, adding copepods, no water changes for two months, h2O2 dosing, UV attached to the DT, vacuumed sand every other day...etc. nothing works.
When I have a Dino bloom going on that bacteria method from elegant corals works well for me. I haven’t ran a UV and I got rid of my skimmer over a year ago. I’m on the Triton method now no filters just a big refugium. I haven’t vacuumed the sand since I added a bunch of Garf Grunge and things are definitely going in the right direction but gosh darn it I want new water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back