Where to take and replace water

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you take your water from for a water change?

I am setting up a 75g w/ a 40 g sump. So I figure a 10% WC would be ~10 g. I think I could pull this from the sump. This way not disturbing the DT.

Before I had a 36 g w/ a 10 g sump. I never thought of pulling from the sump. Probably because I added the sump about a year in and had a system for changing water in the DT already.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really matter. When doing manual changes, I normally pull from the DT so I can suck up any detritus and clean the pumps. When the sump gets dirty, I pull from there for the same reasons. When I do AWCs, they always pull from the sump.

OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes sense. I guess since I was always doing DT changes before I never really noticed a lot of detritus build up.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a python water change hose with a gravel vac to I take some from the display and I also pull from the sump to collect any detritus.
But it really doesn't matter.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom also.
I pull from DT as well, getting all I can from the bottom.
I tend to leave my sump alone.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back