Water change in place of dosing?

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my tank for about 8 months now and ready to start adding corals soon. Would doing a 10-15% water change every week/week and a half keep me from having to dose? Would someone be willing to point me to some accurate literature on how I will know what to dose if I need too? Thanks guys!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water changes can not replace dosing on the majority of our tanks. Our inhabitants will consume the elements quicker than we can replace with water changes.

You will need to test to know what to dose. Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are the big threw to watch for dosing. Nitrate and phosphate are also important.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes can not replace dosing on the majority of our tanks. Our inhabitants will consume the elements quicker than we can replace with water changes.

You will need to test to know what to dose. Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are the big threw to watch for dosing. Nitrate and phosphate are also important.
I figured those were standard I was talking more about some of the trace elements and other of the not so common ones I see people talking about?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figured those were standard I was talking more about some of the trace elements and other of the not so common ones I see people talking about?

Once you have the basics down and get comfortable, you can look into methods like Reef Moonshiners and regular ICP testing if you would like to dose trace elements.

Tropic Marin makes some broad trace element supplements as well that are pretty easy to dose. When it comes to trace elements a very good rule is: some are better than none but less is better than more. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the basics down and get comfortable, you can look into methods like Reef Moonshiners and regular ICP testing if you would like to dose trace elements.

Tropic Marin makes some broad trace element supplements as well that are pretty easy to dose. When it comes to trace elements a very good rule is: some are better than none but less is better than more. Hope that makes sense.
Yes thank you!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back