Water change question

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been wondering and I'm sure it makes no difference but also could be wrong.

I do about a 15% water change every Sunday, but I do it in 2 halves. For instance, I don't like turning off my return pump, so I put it on the lowest setting and drain right before it is too low and refill, than about 4 hours later I do that again and thats my water change. Should I be doing it all at once? Or does that not matter?

If you see my other thread I was having nitrate and Phosphate issues but after multiple water changes, equipment cleanings and sand vacuuming, nitrates are at 3.6, Phosphate down to .025 and all has been good, I just want to be on top of everything.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a small difference; you're not changing 15% total by doing it this way. The first half (7.5%) will be diluted into your tank before changing the 2nd half. You are probably changing closer to 10% effectively by doing it like this.

Why would you not switch off your return pump? :)

OP
OP
thecitadel

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking way better, gaining color back and really opened up. Also seeing a huge loss in Aiptasia finally.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does slightly reduce how effective the water change is because the second time you are removing a small amount of the new water from the first change. It is not significantly different though and if you prefer doing it as two changes I would continue doing it that way

OP
OP
thecitadel

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a small difference; you're not changing 15% total by doing it this way. The first half (7.5%) will be diluted into your tank before changing the 2nd half. You are probably changing closer to 10% effectively by doing it like this.

Well honestly, it loses prime and then I'm fighting with it for 10 minutes trying to get it to start again. Is there a fix to this? Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking way better, gaining color back and really opened up. Also seeing a huge loss in Aiptasia finally.

Glad to hear you're doing well and that the tank gets better! :) It's all about continuous improvement.. It looks not too bad anymore no :star-struck:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly, it loses prime and then I'm fighting with it for 10 minutes trying to get it to start again. Is there a fix to this? Thank you!
Haven't heard of a return pump loosing prime; it should be submerged at all time so water is readily available surely unless your pump is placed higher than the water level somehow? :)

When the return pump is off, water drains to the sump - unless you're running a sumpless system of some sort?

Anyhow; do what you are more comfortable doing. And if you're seeing good results, it means that you are doing thins right

OP
OP
thecitadel

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't heard of a return pump loosing prime; it should be submerged at all time so water is readily available surely unless your pump is placed higher than the water level somehow? :)

When the return pump is off, water drains to the sump - unless you're running a sumpless system of some sort?

Anyhow; do what you are more comfortable doing. And if you're seeing good results, it means that you are doing thins right
This is where I'm confused because its a standard setup with a sump.

My return is a mightyjet xl, and it runs to up to a Tee and splits to 2 returns, left and right side of tank. Never an issue. You turn it off and go to turn it on, it beeps, stating it has lost prime. I have to then lift it from the wayer, turn it on, and usually it will start, then can place back down. Sometimes it just doesn't start and beeps. I do not have any check valves of flappers on the return. I guess it's not that big of a deal, it just bothers me lol.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My return is a mightyjet xl, and it runs to up to a Tee and splits to 2 returns, left and right side of tank. Never an issue. You turn it off and go to turn it on, it beeps, stating it has lost prime. I have to then lift it from the wayer, turn it on, and usually it will start, then can place back down. Sometimes it just doesn't start and beeps. I do not have any check valves of flappers on the return. I guess it's not that big of a deal, it just bothers me lol.
Sounds like a defective unit.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah that's very strange! Sorry I can't help you there, I was just looking at the specifications of the pump and it has nothing to do with lack of head pressure or increased back pressure I don't think so.

Could be broken, i would reach out to wherever you bought it.

Hopefully someone else here can help you out!

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your pump need cleaning? I saw something like this one time pump would not start up until I cleaned the impeller

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing it since day 1 brand new. Never understood why.
Mate, how old is it now? That pump sounds broken! Hope you're still within warranty..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two 7.5% changes exactly equals one 14.4% change, so the difference vs one 15% change is trivially small.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 7.5% changes exactly equals one 14.4% change, so the difference vs one 15% change is trivially small.
One can always count on being corrected by your good self ;) Every day is a school day! Cheers

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back