Water Change

gordoncheers

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2021
Messages
167
Reaction score
24
Location
Singapore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to the saltwater hobby and was wondering how would a water change be done on bigger aquariums (100 gallon +)
Can I get a step by step guide?
thanks!
 
I’ve read that a lot of owners use those 20-gallon Brutes, or a handful of 5-gallon pails (since you’re typically doing a 10% water change) along with an external pump. Others have built their own salt water mixing stations and perform changes either manually or automatically through a series of manifolds and pumps or dosers. It really depends on your budget and how inherently lazy you are...

I just use a Sicce Zero utility pump and some of the orange 5-gallon buckets from Home Depot. I mix the saltwater prior and throw a cheap heater in a few hours before I do the water change. This is probably the most labour-intensive way to do it.

I either take the water out of the sump or display (depending on how adventurous I’m feeling), making sure that everything is turned off prior.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new