Water Changes and Frags on High Frag Rack

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but when doing a water change I usually change out 26 gallons of a Red Sea 750 XXL (160 Gallons). I have a few new frags that when the water is low is right at the surface of the water. Should I be turning off my lights or make them dimmer during the change? Seems like there is a chance they could get toasted but I am not quite sure. I ask as I have a 3 week old frag of PC Rainbow. The first couple weeks it looked good, I did a water change and noticed that it was almost sticking out of the water. A couple of days later and I can see that the tips were getting lighter, then came filaments. About a week later all of the tips do not look great. I am trying to determine if that was the cause or my tank just does not like PC Rainbows. I have a few other acros that have been growing and looking good for about 4-6 months now.

Tank is 2 years old March 20.
Alk 7.4-7.6
CA 440
Mag 1350
NO3 8-12
PO4 .2 - .3 (a little high but should not kill anything) I started up my cheato refugium about 2 weeks ago. Only other filtration is a skimmer.
Bare bottom, started with dry rock.
Kessil 360X / T5 Aqutic life Combo, 4 blue + Bulbs. 8" off the water, t5's 9 hours a day, 2 hour ramp up to 95% on the kessils. Peak to 100% over the course of 5 hours, come down to 65% for 3 hours then ramp down to 0% the last 2 hours. Par ranges all in the tank 250 - 375, nothing to extreme.
Dosing 45 ML of BRS Soda Ash and Calcium daily to keep levels
30ML of live phyto once a day

Last edited:

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may be correct depending on how long your water change took and what par levels were reached during it you may have distressed your frags

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back