Water Changes, Daily or weekly?

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do daily water changes, but I take the easy way out. I have a DOS that sucks out 4 liters and sticks 4 new liters in every day at 1pm. I only make salt water every 10 days.
I'm using a Genesis Renew system which is fantastic.
Do you have a thread that details how you do this?
its possible to make a system with an Apex controller, pumps, float switches and a few water tanks. Or I bought a Renew system from Genesis Reef Systems. It helps that my display tank is on an exterior wall so I could put everything outside and I live in LA so it's always warm.

I have it change through my refugium, which empties into my sump. No one has any idea anything happens inside the tank!

The system is a bit pricey for what it is, but all I do now is make 30G in my mixing tank every Sunday afternoon and I don't lift an ounce of water.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to do a daily water change also. Going to use a kore 5th with a awc module, 20 gallon tank, and add a apex conductivity probe to the 20 gal mixing tank. I am going to use a hydor to mix the salt.

nvert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do daily water changes using a controlled Stenner dual-dosing pump. I have a 120g tank and change about 1.5 gallons a day 4am each morning. Params are all inline but I mostly do this thanks to Randy and the fact that I've become more lazy and needed to find an alternative means of water change.

bigboy7828

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do automated daily water changes using a Stenner dual head pump (in the garage next to the fresh salt water tank). Apex controlled, pulls and replaces 2 gallons per day.

I do the exact same thing with the exact same setup. It's so much easier then doing it by hand and leaves more time to do other things.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8434.JPG
I do 133ml every 10 mins (20lt daily )
140ltrs a week
With the spectra litre metre
Don't have to worry about heating / mixing or ato conflict
Waste water straight up wall through roof outside
New water straight from 2000lt nsw water storage
Parameters have been stable & if want to do more or less it's 1 button

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I went from 15G/weekly (10%) to 1G every 12 hours via automated system... obviously it's a lot better than bailing water every Saturday morning, but the coral is SO much happier. Less dosing all around, nitrates and phosphates easier to control. Total no brainer.

Regardless of what your schedule is, I think everyone would benefit from daily changes.
I'm gonna try to do a smaller water change weekly, and maybe do a gallon a day and see how things go from there. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a lot of factors. Bio load of number of fish and how much feeding, what kind of filtration you have, type of corals. Dosing any elements separately from water change?
Noting to crazy, just the usual. Other than that I dose Fuel.

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8434.JPG
I do 133ml every 10 mins (20lt daily )
140ltrs a week
With the spectra litre metre
Don't have to worry about heating / mixing or ato conflict
Waste water straight up wall through roof outside
New water straight from 2000lt nsw water storage
Parameters have been stable & if want to do more or less it's 1 button
Oohhh could possibly a future investment when I decide to upgrade.

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

its possible to make a system with an Apex controller, pumps, float switches and a few water tanks. Or I bought a Renew system from Genesis Reef Systems. It helps that my display tank is on an exterior wall so I could put everything outside and I live in LA so it's always warm.

I have it change through my refugium, which empties into my sump. No one has any idea anything happens inside the tank!

The system is a bit pricey for what it is, but all I do now is make 30G in my mixing tank every Sunday afternoon and I don't lift an ounce of water.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG
Amazing!

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to do a daily water change also. Going to use a kore 5th with a awc module, 20 gallon tank, and add a apex conductivity probe to the 20 gal mixing tank. I am going to use a hydor to mix the salt.
Let me know how it goes!

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geneses was my first choice, but I didn't want to run 1/2" tubing back and forth to my garage (already had 1/4" installed), plus the two change tanks would need to be hanging on the wall above the tank. Went with the Stenner and haven't looked back.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filtration takes care of all my nutrient wc needs and my coral dont use up much of the parameters so I usually do 5 gal every 3 or so weeks (in a 25 gal) but my 10 gal does not have that great of filtration so I do 2 or 3 gallons a week just for the nutrient export.

ps. I would never do daily waterchanges. way too much work to do every day. I would do weekly as the shortest time between changes lol but thats just me not wanting to lug pails around

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

Awesome!

You guys are some serious "Reef"... Sick-O's :D

Shaun,
Lol, I'm sorry, but I'm tracking you :)

Freddie

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filtration takes care of all my nutrient wc needs and my coral dont use up much of the parameters so I usually do 5 gal every 3 or so weeks (in a 25 gal) but my 10 gal does not have that great of filtration so I do 2 or 3 gallons a week just for the nutrient export.

ps. I would never do daily waterchanges. way too much work to do every day. I would do weekly as the shortest time between changes lol but thats just me not wanting to lug pails around
I'm sure it would be made easy if there was an automatic water change involved :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back