Water changes/ General maintenance

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help I’m kind of confused As my water evaporates do I put RODI freshwater or salt water I have a 24 gallon rimless tank please give me some maintenance tips I have two corals and two clown fish and some hermit crabs thank you. Also my tank is only 5 or 6 days old….. yes I used live sand live rock and turbo start.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use RO/DI freshwater to replace evaporated water because only the water evaporates, not the salt; you’re going to want to do this regularly so you don’t have big swings in salinity due to evaporation.

You’ll also want to do scheduled water changes, where you remove a certain number of gallons of water from your tank and replace it with the same amount of saltwater. When you do this, you should test the salinity of both your tank water and the replacement saltwater with a calibrated refractometer. Sometimes the concentration of saltwater in your tank can gradually creep up or down over time, so you’ll want to use your water changes to correct this and keep it constant. The frequency and amount of water changes is a matter of personal preference. A general rule of thumb is 10% weekly, though.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help I’m kind of confused As my water evaporates do I put RODI freshwater or salt water I have a 24 gallon rimless tank please give me some maintenance tips I have two corals and two clown fish and some hermit crabs thank you. Also my tank is only 5 or 6 days old….. yes I used live sand live rock and turbo start.
You only add saltwater when you’ve taken saltwater out. Salt doesn’t evaporate, so as water evaporates from from your tank, your tank is getting saltier and saltier, so you top it off with fresh (preferably RODI) water. It sounds like maybe you’re in a little over your head, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Back