Water Changes made easy

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has some tips/advice about making the waterchange process easier.
I only have a 2ft cube tank approx, I know this is relatively small, however changing 50-100L can be a bit tedious every weekend so I'm wondering what people are doing to make their lives easier / water changes quicker/easier or if I'm just doing too much and making it harder than it needs to be ?

Currently my method is as follows;

-NSW purchased from LFS Usually around 50L on hand (75L if I'm doing a larger change) which is kept in 25L containers (a bit of weight to lug around).
-Either the night before or just before I do the change. I test salinity of both tank and the container water & pour a small amount out of the containers into a small bucket.
-I then get the RO water and add this back into the container (not any measurement particularly, just eyeball/guess it) close container, give it a shake and retest salinity to see if it's closer to 1.025 (LFS NSW seems to always be about 1.027-9), sometimes I overcook it and its under, sometimes it's a little over, sometimes its about right. I just adjust on the next container when I do the process again.
-I then have been getting into the habit of testing alk of both the tank (sometimes day before) and a container of the NSW, I then dose the container to try and get it up to around the 8.5 or so mark (usually retesting before I add into the tank).
-I siphon out the tank taking about 50L (this usually means all my corals are still under water - 75L means some are out of water, I did this once last weekend and my Alveopora hasn't been happy since, and looks like my Blue digi looks a bit bleached around the base (not sure if this was the case before or if it was a result of the water change and being exposed to the light without water - though not 100% sure I did have the lights on for it). When I siphon I'm taking 25L out at a time to match what's in the containers, which is a heavy load to take and tip into the laundry sink.
-After that I'll add the water back in. Instead of lifting 25L container to the DT, I've started filling a smaller bucket with 5-10L and adding that in, this usually is a slow/annoying process because I can't dump it straight in because it'll blow sand everywhere so I have to find a spot to pour it in whilst trying not to have it go everywhere and finding the right amount of flow so as not to disrupt corals/sand. Once it's light enough I'll pick up the container and add that in, again slowly whilst trying to stop it from doing the glug thing where air is trying to get into the container and water coming out so it coughs and splutters everywhere (ticks me off big time). I'll do this until it's back up to the overflow and you can start to hear it trickle down.
I can't siphon back into the DT because I don't have anywhere to put the water that's higher than the tank.

Sorry for the long story, but wanted to paint a picture of exactly what I do and if people have advice to making it quicker/easier.
Would appreciate some feedback/advice of what you do or what I could do differently to make it a more enjoyable/less hassle experience.

Cheers

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I had in my nano was auto water fill up.

I kept the syphoning of water manual so I could clean sand and detritus.

But then I had a bucket of mixed saltwater that was pumped into tank, instead of pouring water into tank. The water poured into the return chamber who h then filled up the tank.

Made life much easier having the water full up automated.

Just one drum of dirty water to move around, which you could put on a dolly/roller board with wheels and push around instead of carrying it.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has some tips/advice about making the waterchange process easier.
I only have a 2ft cube tank approx, I know this is relatively small, however changing 50-100L can be a bit tedious every weekend so I'm wondering what people are doing to make their lives easier / water changes quicker/easier or if I'm just doing too much and making it harder than it needs to be ?

-NSW purchased from LFS Usually around 50L on hand (75L if I'm doing a larger change) which is kept in 25L containers (a bit of weight to lug around).
-Either the night before or just before I do the change. I test salinity of both tank and the container water & pour a small amount out of the containers into a small bucket.
-I then get the RO water and add this back into the container (not any measurement particularly, just eyeball/guess it) close container, give it a shake and retest salinity to see if it's closer to 1.025 (LFS NSW seems to always be about 1.027-9), sometimes I overcook it and its under, sometimes it's a little over, sometimes its about right. I just adjust on the next container when I do the process again.
-I then have been getting into the habit of testing alk of both the tank (sometimes day before) and a container of the NSW, I then dose the container to try and get it up to around the 8.5 or so mark (usually retesting before I add into the tank).
-I siphon out the tank taking about 50L (this usually means all my corals are still under water - 75L means some are out of water, I did this once last weekend and my Alveopora hasn't been happy since, and looks like my Blue digi looks a bit bleached around the base (not sure if this was the case before or if it was a result of the water change and being exposed to the light without water - though not 100% sure I did have the lights on for it). When I siphon I'm taking 25L out at a time to match what's in the containers, which is a heavy load to take and tip into the laundry sink.
-After that I'll add the water back in. Instead of lifting 25L container to the DT, I've started filling a smaller bucket with 5-10L and adding that in, this usually is a slow/annoying process because I can't dump it straight in because it'll blow sand everywhere so I have to find a spot to pour it in whilst trying not to have it go everywhere and finding the right amount of flow so as not to disrupt corals/sand. Once it's light enough I'll pick up the container and add that in, again slowly whilst trying to stop it from doing the glug thing where air is trying to get into the container and water coming out so it coughs and splutters everywhere (ticks me off big time). I'll do this until it's back up to the overflow and you can start to hear it trickle down.
I can't siphon back into the DT because I don't have anywhere to put the water that's higher than the tank.

Sorry for the long story, but wanted to paint a picture of exactly what I do and if people have advice to making it quicker/easier.
Would appreciate some feedback/advice of what you do or what I could do differently to make it a more enjoyable/less hassle experience.

Cheers
I have heard of people using pumps instead to pump fresh saltwater into the tank. You could explore that option.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Just wondering, whats the estimated water volume for your tank. You said that your tank is a 2ft cube so I’m estimating its (61X61X65, just a rough guess ) around 220-240L? If you were to change 50L-100L thats about 20-35% water change? What corals and what stock (fish, inverts) do you have in your tank? I’m not sure if its that necessary to change that much water weekly.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I had in my nano was auto water fill up.

I kept the syphoning of water manual so I could clean sand and detritus.

But then I had a bucket of mixed saltwater that was pumped into tank, instead of pouring water into tank. The water poured into the return chamber who h then filled up the tank.

Made life much easier having the water full up automated.

Just one drum of dirty water to move around, which you could put on a dolly/roller board with wheels and push around instead of carrying it.

Ah thanks for the tip. I think I might've briefly considered a pump previously back when I was thinking of getting some 200L water drums in the house in a back room and running the thing straight into the tank. Unfortunately the door configuration which I thought was one way (and would've worked amazingly), is reverse so it's not going to work as smoothly. However I'm not sure how strong a pump I'd need to push the water up to the height and down a hose that would be several meters long. Will need to look into it some more.

Just wondering, whats the estimated water volume for your tank. You said that your tank is a 2ft cube so I’m estimating its (61X61X65, just a rough guess ) around 220-240L? If you were to change 50L-100L thats about 20-35% water change? What corals and what stock (fish, inverts) do you have in your tank? I’m not sure if its that necessary to change that much water weekly.

It's about 262L total I think, not sure if that also includes the RO chamber. (It's a waterbox 70.2).
My LFS seems to think 50L isn't enough when I tell them and that it's not going to put enough nutrients back into the tank hence doing a 75L change last time around (plus I've also been dosing to try and bring my nitrates and phosphates down as they were both up due to over feeding when I went away and hadn't had the skimmer working properly either).

Corals include;
4x hammers - Green, Orange, Pearl, Pink
2x frogspawn - Green tip, Purple tip
2x torches - Green tip, Purple tip
1x blue digi (only sps in tank)
1x Red monti cap
1x Green Tentacle Fungia
1x Orange Lobo
1x Daisy
1x Zoa rock
1x Pavona
1x Ultra green trachy (almost dead, has been receeding for the last 2-3 weeks)
1x Blasto wellsi red frag
1x QLD Goni
1x Pink Lemonade Chalice
1x Scoly
1x Moon Coral
1x Platygyra
1x Deshi
1x Pink Goni
1x Elegance Coral
1x Alveopora

Fish include;
2x Clownfish
1x Allen's Sandsifter
1x Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
1x Two-Spot Bristletooth Tang
1x Banana/Canary Wrasse
1x Flame Hawkfish

Clean up Crew include;
4x Trochus Snails ( 1 large, 3x small/medium)
3x Nassarius Snails (don't know if they're all still kicking, saw one or two a week or so back but they hide so it's hard to know).

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thanks for the tip. I think I might've briefly considered a pump previously back when I was thinking of getting some 200L water drums in the house in a back room and running the thing straight into the tank. Unfortunately the door configuration which I thought was one way (and would've worked amazingly), is reverse so it's not going to work as smoothly. However I'm not sure how strong a pump I'd need to push the water up to the height and down a hose that would be several meters long. Will need to look into it some more.

It's about 262L total I think, not sure if that also includes the RO chamber. (It's a waterbox 70.2).
My LFS seems to think 50L isn't enough when I tell them and that it's not going to put enough nutrients back into the tank hence doing a 75L change last time around (plus I've also been dosing to try and bring my nitrates and phosphates down as they were both up due to over feeding when I went away and hadn't had the skimmer working properly either).

Corals include;
4x hammers - Green, Orange, Pearl, Pink
2x frogspawn - Green tip, Purple tip
2x torches - Green tip, Purple tip
1x blue digi (only sps in tank)
1x Red monti cap
1x Green Tentacle Fungia
1x Orange Lobo
1x Daisy
1x Zoa rock
1x Pavona
1x Ultra green trachy (almost dead, has been receeding for the last 2-3 weeks)
1x Blasto wellsi red frag
1x QLD Goni
1x Pink Lemonade Chalice
1x Scoly
1x Moon Coral
1x Platygyra
1x Deshi
1x Pink Goni
1x Elegance Coral
1x Alveopora

Fish include;
2x Clownfish
1x Allen's Sandsifter
1x Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
1x Two-Spot Bristletooth Tang
1x Banana/Canary Wrasse
1x Flame Hawkfish

Clean up Crew include;
4x Trochus Snails ( 1 large, 3x small/medium)
3x Nassarius Snails (don't know if they're all still kicking, saw one or two a week or so back but they hide so it's hard to know).
Ahh you have quite a number of stonies. Ok then I guess it makes sense doing that amount of water change. I think they meant important elements like calcium, magnesium and other trace elements. Also, have you considered buying your own salt and preparing the salt water yourself? I’d imagine hauling saltwater back from the LFS would be quite tedious.

Also, do you have pictures of your blue digi? I’m really curious since I’ve only come across the purple, green and red varieties.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh you have quite a number of stonies. Ok then I guess it makes sense doing that amount of water change. I think they meant important elements like calcium, magnesium and other trace elements. Also, have you considered buying your own salt and preparing the salt water yourself? I’d imagine hauling saltwater back from the LFS would be quite tedious.

Also, do you have pictures of your blue digi? I’m really curious since I’ve only come across the purple, green and red varieties.
Yeah I think that's what they were referring too also. Though I do monitor those and have started to dose coral essentials Mag/Cal/Carbon + Trace in the last 2-3 weeks. Mag still a little light but the rest seem fairly good I think and usually check those around twice a week.

My LFS is probably only 5 mins, 10 at most away so whilst it's annoying having to lug the jugs, it's not too annoying. Have started wondering if it's worth doing the salt mixing myself and getting some drums to store it so I can spend a little time to prepare it and then forget about it and not have to drive to get some.
I think if I made my own it'd also have 0 nitrates etc (would it have the elements+trace though or would these need to be manually added as well?)

I don't have any photos at the moment unfortunately. It's very tiny and I haven't seen much of the blue come out since that last big WC after it was exposed for several minutes.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're changing out alot more water than I am. My system holds about 75 gallons (285L) and I change 5g (20L) a week. I siphon out a 5g bucket worth and dump it outside, then get my other 5g bucket of new water and use a pump to fill up my sump. Takes about 15 minutes maybe.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that's what they were referring too also. Though I do monitor those and have started to dose coral essentials Mag/Cal/Carbon + Trace in the last 2-3 weeks. Mag still a little light but the rest seem fairly good I think and usually check those around twice a week.

My LFS is probably only 5 mins, 10 at most away so whilst it's annoying having to lug the jugs, it's not too annoying. Have started wondering if it's worth doing the salt mixing myself and getting some drums to store it so I can spend a little time to prepare it and then forget about it and not have to drive to get some.
I think if I made my own it'd also have 0 nitrates etc (would it have the elements+trace though or would these need to be manually added as well?)

I don't have any photos at the moment unfortunately. It's very tiny and I haven't seen much of the blue come out since that last big WC after it was exposed for several minutes.
By right, the elements should already be in the salt, so you don’t have to add additional elements onto the fresh saltwater.

Ah thats a shame. Maybe once the blue digi has grown a bit more, it might colour up better.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're changing out alot more water than I am. My system holds about 75 gallons (285L) and I change 5g (20L) a week. I siphon out a 5g bucket worth and dump it outside, then get my other 5g bucket of new water and use a pump to fill up my sump. Takes about 15 minutes maybe.

Hmmm I know I've heard of people doing regular small changes like this, I've also heard of people doing less, larger changes (or even none at all).
Definitely need to consider the pump option I think.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the water tested at the LFS as they had a new machine in to do it.
Looks like my levels seem fairly good, contrary to some tests I've done at home which made me think certain things were a little down.

pH 7.9
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 12
Phosphate 0.05
Alk 7.98
Cal 460
Mag 1404

Think I might skip the water change this week, maybe see if I can get into a bi-weekly rhythm with it and just do a test on the weekend and one mid week and adjust parameters as necessary.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back