Water changes & water chemistry

project2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
How often and in what volume do you believe water changes are necessary in the following circumstances: tank currently has no fish, only corals, snails, anemone; ammonia, phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate all test at zero; KH is at 10.9; spec gravity at 1.025; ph at 8.3; calcium about 480+; trace elements supplemented with sealab-28; skimmer is skimming small volume. Put another way, if water parameters are generally stable and trace elements supplemented, what are we replacing?
Thank you

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are typically to remove waste and replace the main elements and trace elements - unless we're talking about massive emergency water changes to address a specific issue.

These are more important on smaller tanks where dosing may not be applicable and parameters can tend to spike quickly. On larger tanks - I can't answer that. I've only performed maybe 3 water changes in the past year on my 200-gallon system and the corals, fish, anemones and inverts don't seem to be affected in the least.

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
How often and in what volume do you believe water changes are necessary in the following circumstances: tank currently has no fish, only corals, snails, anemone; ammonia, phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate all test at zero; KH is at 10.9; spec gravity at 1.025; ph at 8.3; calcium about 480+; trace elements supplemented with sealab-28; skimmer is skimming small volume. Put another way, if water parameters are generally stable and trace elements supplemented, what are we replacing?
Thank you
How new is your tank?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are typically to remove waste and replace the main elements and trace elements - unless we're talking about massive emergency water changes to address a specific issue.

These are more important on smaller tanks where dosing may not be applicable and parameters can tend to spike quickly. On larger tanks - I can't answer that. I've only performed maybe 3 water changes in the past year on my 200-gallon system and the corals, fish, anemones and inverts don't seem to be affected in the least.
I agree with you. Water changes in this day and age “should” be a thing of the past. There are so many ways to replenish minor and trace elements(looking at you All For Reef) that, unless you have excess nutrients, there is no reason to do a water change IMO.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. Water changes in this day and age “should” be a thing of the past. There are so many ways to replenish minor and trace elements(looking at you All For Reef) that, unless you have excess nutrients, there is no reason to do a water change IMO.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back