Water changes with copper power

brandnewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers, I just noticed my ammonia slowly spiking in my QT tank with a Candy Hogfish in it. this is my first quarantine and it's been pretty successful so far so I don't want to mess it up! I'm going to do a water change and I currently have 1.75ppm of copper power in the tank, when I do a water change what do I dose the new water with? I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change out of my 8 gallon total tank volume. Thanks!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a copper test kit. If not you will need to get one. Whenever you do a water change you will need to test and then dose the amount needed to bring it back to the needed level. Also keep in mind copper will kill and beneficial bacteria that breaks down ammonia so water changes are imperative.

OP
OP
brandnewreefer

brandnewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a copper test kit. If not you will need to get one. Whenever you do a water change you will need to test and then dose the amount needed to bring it back to the needed level. Also keep in mind copper will kill and beneficial bacteria that breaks down ammonia so water changes are imperative.
Yes! I have the Hanna High Range Copper tester.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Test and determine what needs to be added if any

OP
OP
brandnewreefer

brandnewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dosing and adjusting the new water until it matches the tank :) good luck with the QT! Send us a picture of your new friend!
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 9.26.17 AM.png

Thank you!! This is him I named him Ginger lol... but I can't even snatch a good pic of him because he's flying around the tank all the time, so here's an action shot

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reefers, I just noticed my ammonia slowly spiking in my QT tank with a Candy Hogfish in it. this is my first quarantine and it's been pretty successful so far so I don't want to mess it up! I'm going to do a water change and I currently have 1.75ppm of copper power in the tank, when I do a water change what do I dose the new water with? I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change out of my 8 gallon total tank volume. Thanks!
I think the easiest way is to make up replacement water with 1.75 ppm copper. Then - take out x gallons from your tank - and add x gallons of replacement water. (Note this assumes that your water in your QT tank actually is at 1.75 ppm). I don't think it would make a difference - but - I would not dilute the 'QT' with water and then add copper - I think its best to try to keep the level 'up' all the time. BTW - as I'm sure you know - replacing 2/10 gallons will only reduce your ammonia by 1/5. So - you might want to do more of a change - depending on how high your 'spike' is?

PS - then retest the QT to verify its at 1.75 - and then adjust as needed

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandnewreefer

brandnewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest way is to make up replacement water with 1.75 ppm copper. Then - take out x gallons from your tank - and add x gallons of replacement water. (Note this assumes that your water in your QT tank actually is at 1.75 ppm). I don't think it would make a difference - but - I would not dilute the 'QT' with water and then add copper - I think its best to try to keep the level 'up' all the time. BTW - as I'm sure you know - replacing 2/10 gallons will only reduce your ammonia by 1/5. So - you might want to do more of a change - depending on how high your 'spike' is?

PS - then retest the QT to verify its at 1.75 - and then adjust as needed
Great thank you so much that was very helpful. The ammonia spike was very very slight, just about .02 ppm if not less so I figured a smaller water change would be good for now. No signs of any issues with the fish I just want to keep on top if it. thanks!!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the right way to do a water change in a copper tank is to add the copper to the fresh water BEFORE you change. The temporary dip in copper levels can allow a parasite to attach to a fish, which allows the parasite life cycle to continue.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you know, with copper power, you can use seachem prime to assist with ammonia management. NOT so with cupramine.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper are you using? Different types need different levels. Jesus christ...that's an important question..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back