Water clarity - constant issues

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.

Feeling a little frustrated and concerned so grateful for any advice you can offer.

I've had my tank running for about 3 months now. I have a 700 litre system. Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and undetectable nitrates. Salinity is stable at 1.025 using Aquaforest salt. I have a Lawnmower Blenny and two baby clowns and 4 or 5 Nassarius snails.

I started the tank without a protein skimmer and did a fishless cycle. I've changed 3x the water volume progressively since my cycle finished. I've had a skimmer on order for about 6 weeks. Because it was delayed my LFS was kind enough to lend me one which I installed nearly a week ago.

For the past two months of that time the tank has been cloudy - ranging from milky to flat out deep green. Right now it's brown-green water following a week or so of deep green which I assume was a phytoplankton bloom that is now slowly dying off. I haven't seen my lawnmower blenny for a week because of the lack of visibility. I literally can't seem more than 10cm in to the tank.

Is this normal or is there something I could be doing to reduce the cloudy water? Now that a skimmer is online can I expect the cloudiness to reduce? Is there something I am missing here?

Any help greatly appreciated

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? I did and had some of the same issue, I added pods and did a couple water changes and it cleared in a couple weeks

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock? I did and had some of the same issue, I added pods and did a couple water changes and it cleared in a couple weeks

Yes I did. It took quite a while for nitrates to drop during the cycle. I had pods everywhere a month ago and now very few at all that I can see.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run socks or floss, skim wet, and turned down/off the lights a few days. If its phyto blacking out the tank may help.

Where are your nitrates now?

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run socks or floss, skim wet, and turned down/off the lights a few days. If its phyto blacking out the tank may help.

Where are your nitrates now?

Nitrates undetectable. I am running socks but I suspect the cloudiness is from very small particles that are getting through.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that may helpful in a massive bloom is to be sure that you also have some/a lot of surface agitation for gas exchange/oxygenation so that the stuff that's blooming doesn't sap the tank of oxygen. People sometimes forget that photosynthetic things consume oxygen when it's dark (assuming it's phyto).

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer would help clear your green bloom at a faster rate. But your bacteria may not be strong enough to compete with the phytoplankton.
Having undetectable nitrates and phosphate isn't necessarily a good thing either, maybe why your tank is looking green.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back