Water flow - 40G Breeder — LPS Reef

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 40-gallon breeder since ~February 2022 and purchased the 2600GPH Hygger wave maker. My return pump is a Sicce (357gph) pump. I purchased the hygger because the 1600GPH was rated as 3-25 gallons, and the 2600GPH WAS FOR 25-55 gallon tanks. However, I am running the wave maker at its lowest setting (40% power - 1,040 gallons) and feel it’s still too strong? It’s hard finding good coral placement, my candy cane coral is the most difficult as it forces the polyps to bend against the skeleton unless it’s in 1 specific location. I think I may get the 1600GPH wave maker as a replacement. I’m not looking to get into SPS at this time, and if I do I’ll be getting a larger tank in the next ~2 years when I move. Everything online seems to say that this flow should be good for my size tank and LPS/soft corals but it seems like the currents too strong? Fish seem happy. Does ~1400 GPH turnover sound right? Also, is there a preferred setting (pulse wave vs sine wave?). The random setting removes the option to reduce power output, so I can’t use that setting.

E6493514-E4FE-40E1-B5F2-31A7627FCD9D.jpeg 31FFBF75-D964-4BE8-A17A-068088252983.jpeg

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 40-gallon breeder since ~February 2022 and purchased the 2600GPH Hygger wave maker. My return pump is a Sicce (357gph) pump. I purchased the hygger because the 1600GPH was rated as 3-25 gallons, and the 2600GPH WAS FOR 25-55 gallon tanks. However, I am running the wave maker at its lowest setting (40% power - 1,040 gallons) and feel it’s still too strong? It’s hard finding good coral placement, my candy cane coral is the most difficult as it forces the polyps to bend against the skeleton unless it’s in 1 specific location. I think I may get the 1600GPH wave maker as a replacement. I’m not looking to get into SPS at this time, and if I do I’ll be getting a larger tank in the next ~2 years when I move. Everything online seems to say that this flow should be good for my size tank and LPS/soft corals but it seems like the currents too strong? Fish seem happy. Does ~1400 GPH turnover sound right? Also, is there a preferred setting (pulse wave vs sine wave?). The random setting removes the option to reduce power output, so I can’t use that setting.

E6493514-E4FE-40E1-B5F2-31A7627FCD9D.jpeg 31FFBF75-D964-4BE8-A17A-068088252983.jpeg
Can you post a picture of the tank to get a better idea of where your wave maker is pointing. You may only need to move it rather than get a new one
PS I currently run a 40 breeder frag tank for LPS and zoas

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting as I have a 40 g breeder and considered these pumps at one time. I was recently looking at the small one for my sump... I went with the AI Nero 5 for my breeder display however. Fwiw I'm terrible with gph and turnover numbers and how they translate in real world applications, so I can't answer that based on numbers, but if your coral doesn't look happy in the flow that's the best indicator.

So even on the lowest settings its too much? Where do you have it positioned? A pic would speak volumes :)

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel your pain! I have the equivalent of a 40B. My tank is mostly LPS and the flow is a constant struggle. I have a 500 gph return pump and an MP10, both run at about half power. I have to be really careful about where the flow is directed (and where it bounces off the glass) or certain corals won’t open or get smooshed by the flow.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain! I have the equivalent of a 40B. My tank is mostly LPS and the flow is a constant struggle. I have a 500 gph return pump and an MP10, both run at about half power. I have to be really careful about where the flow is directed (and where it bounces off the glass) or certain corals won’t open or get smooshed by the flow.
I have found that in a 40 breeder flex head, return outputs or your friend.
My tank is currently set up with a hang on back on one of the shorter sides and on the other side aqua 8. Watt UV plummed to act as a hang on back with a Evo 13.5 flex head return set up to shoot down the front glass and across the tank at an angle

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the 2600 is underpowered for the 40 breeder? I had one on a 29 and thought 2 would be good for a mixed reef. I personally feel that the 2600 gph is way overrated. The 1600 is way weaker and you might have to run 4 of those.

I would suggest placement or rock changes as less flow will give you a ton of dead spots.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my wife send me a picture of one of my 40g frag tanks just to give a better idea of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• Snapchat-717689578.jpg
    Snapchat-717689578.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 145

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, im running the new bigger one on the 29 now and it is probably 3-4 times as strong as the 2600 on the lower power settings. Mostly sps in that tank. The 2600 you can redirect easily.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the 2600 is underpowered for the 40 breeder? I had one on a 29 and thought 2 would be good for a mixed reef. I personally feel that the 2600 gph is way overrated. The 1600 is way weaker and you might have to run 4 of those.

I would suggest placement or rock changes as less flow will give you a ton of dead spots.
Agreed. Placement is everything

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the tank to get a better idea of where your wave maker is pointing. You may only need to move it rather than get a new one
PS I currently run a 40 breeder frag tank for LPS and zoas
Here’s a photo - I also can’t tell if my torch is unhappy (if the flow is too direct)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting as I have a 40 g breeder and considered these pumps at one time. I was recently looking at the small one for my sump... I went with the AI Nero 5 for my breeder display however. Fwiw I'm terrible with gph and turnover numbers and how they translate in real world applications, so I can't answer that based on numbers, but if your coral doesn't look happy in the flow that's the best indicator.

So even on the lowest settings its too much? Where do you have it positioned? A pic would speak volumes :)
Just replied with a photo under another comment!

So even on the lowest settings it’s too much? Where do you have it positioned? A pic would speak volumes :)
Here where the power head is currently placed (top right)

Attachments

• B8A71D2E-E1E0-43A7-90EB-E3AC4AD2DCFC.jpeg
    B8A71D2E-E1E0-43A7-90EB-E3AC4AD2DCFC.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 131

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo - I also can’t tell if my torch is unhappy (if the flow is too direct)
Personally, I wouldn't run the power head and return in the back. The height looks good for the power head but I would personally move it to the front of the tank and turn the frontmost output from your return more towards a diagonal across the tank pointing at the middle height of that front corner

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't run the power head and return in the back. The height looks good for the power head but I would personally move it to the front of the tank and turn the frontmost output from your return more towards a diagonal across the tank pointing at the middle height of that front corner
^^ Yeah, I agree, good call

Perhaps moving it forward will also get some flow on that spot of sand (although be warned your corals may not like it if you start blowing that onto them, so may want to do a quick siphon that one spot first). Maybe aim the ph down a bit too... You'll have to dial it in as you see the corals react

Edit: btw I like your scape ;)

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so that I understand - the power head should be moved to the front of the tank and the return pump should be move diagonally towards the power head? I can give that a try and see how it works. Thank you!

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Yeah, I agree, good call

Perhaps moving it forward will also get some flow on that spot of sand (although be warned your corals may not like it if you start blowing that onto them, so may want to do a quick siphon that one spot first). Maybe aim the ph down a bit too... You'll have to dial it in as you see the corals react

Edit: btw I like your scape ;)
Thanks! Yeah, that popped fairly recently. I’m hoping it goes away - maybe this is just what it needs haha

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don't sweat it too much; I've got some rust going on in my sand atm I'm thinking are dinos or something...these things will be figured out; and yeah this might just do it for ya.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so that I understand - the power head should be moved to the front of the tank and the return pump should be move diagonally towards the power head? I can give that a try and see how it works. Thank you!
I would keep the power head at the same height when you move it to the front and pointing straight ahead. Basically the goal is to create an indirect current, so instead of pushing the water over the coral, you're sucking the water over the coral if you get what I mean

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the power head at the same height when you move it to the front and pointing straight ahead. Basically the goal is to create an indirect current, so instead of pushing the water over the coral, you're sucking the water over the coral if you get what I mean
Yep, that makes sense! Thanks for the help on this.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those powerheads come out as a cone of flow. Putting something straight ahead of it will be lower flow than of to an angle

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back