Water flow in a 29 gallon reef

erironmsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking to see if anyone can give me an idea on water flow for this tank I currently have a maxi jet 400 which says it pushes 500 gallons per hour and I don't think I have enough flow I have another maxi jet 400 which I'm thinking about adding on the opposite side of tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 29g with a HOB filter/skimmer. For flow I had 2 hydor koralia 425 on opposite ends of the tank plus the flow from the filter. Seemed to work fine but if I remember correctly I winded up adding a 3rd powerhead into the mix. Probably could've solved my problems with just stronger powerheads. Lol

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking to see if anyone can give me an idea on water flow for this tank I currently have a maxi jet 400 which says it pushes 500 gallons per hour and I don't think I have enough flow I have another maxi jet 400 which I'm thinking about adding on the opposite side of tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this

I've seen tanks with total flow rates as low as 10x (turns per hour)to as high as 40x or more. Fish only can be very low turns, zoas and softies like a little more, lps more and sps like even more. So a 29g tank could have a total flow rate of anything from 300gph to as high as 1200gph. And given a 'smaller' tank, I'd downsize the flow a little bit. You have a 500gph flow in the 29g tank and about 400gph flow from the sump return to the tank which is a turn over of about 31x (500gph + 400gph = 900gph divided by 29g tank = 31 turns/hour). That's not too low unless you have an all sps tank. My 180g reef which is mostly lps & sps turns right at 40x and I don't see any reason to go any higher.

Last edited:
OP
OP
erironmsn

erironmsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron my 65 has a lot of spa also And I have right at 2700 gallons per hr running there just didn't know if the same went for nano tanks

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank that used to have 3 koralia evolution 600s running on it plus a mag 5 (putting out about 300 gph) with a 15 gallon long for a sump

I've switched out the 3 koralias with a Jebao wp25 and I love it. I have some videos on YouTube I can look no for you of the different modes the pump can run. I'm due for a new video now that I have leds and started keeping sps.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back