Water in wrong area of sump

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chromis stuck in my overflow overnight and have been trying to get him for hours. My dad had the brilliant idea to **** with my return pump and the little handle things on my plumbing and now a TON of water from my tank is moved over the the fuge section of my sump and there isn’t enough in my return. Obviously from my language like “little handle things” i’m so mad i can’t even think right. So now my tank has no heater going to it and I know it won’t dangerously drop for a while but I want it fixed ASAP. Any ideas? All I can think of is pump it out but I don’t have an extra pump or any money. I literally have NO money right now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chromis stuck in my overflow overnight and have been trying to get him for hours. My dad had the brilliant idea to **** with my return pump and the little handle things on my plumbing and now a TON of water from my tank is moved over the the fuge section of my sump and there isn’t enough in my return. Obviously from my language like “little handle things” i’m so mad i can’t even think right. So now my tank has no heater going to it and I know it won’t dangerously drop for a while but I want it fixed ASAP. Any ideas? All I can think of is pump it out but I don’t have an extra pump or any money. I literally have NO money right now.

I don't completely understand the issue. Can you use a bucket to "bail" the water to where it needs to be?

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't completely understand the issue. Can you use a bucket to "bail" the water to where it needs to be?

I’ve done this and for some reason that chamber keeps filling back up and the return drains. I’m so frustrated right now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this and for some reason that chamber keeps filling back up and the return drains. I’m so frustrated right now.

Can you post a pic of sump so we can take a look at what is going on?

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f9a2ebfe6b9a52e7006475df7e9634ed.jpg
1430b26b52c84c4993869f9f2bb858fb.jpg

It’s an eshopps adv 100 sump. The chamber that’s filling is the refugium on the left which I do NOT want. It keeps getting higher and the return chamber is getting lower. I am at a loss and have been working on this for hours and don’t think I can remember the last time I was this annoyed and angry

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your return valve - sounds like it may be closed up more than you need. If your return chamber is emptying faster than your sump is filling, then the "water loop" isn't in balance. You're looking for something that is preventing the water getting from your DT down into your sump.

In that vein; might also check the baffles between the fuge and the return chamber; it may be clogged?

Also; it may help to just step back from it for a bit. Obviously don't leave the tank in a dire situation, but if things are stable and nothing is in danger of burning up or dying, then just take some time to recenter yourself. That alone may bring about the solution...

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your return valve - sounds like it may be closed up more than you need. If your return chamber is emptying faster than your sump is filling, then the "water loop" isn't in balance. You're looking for something that is preventing the water getting from your DT down into your sump.

In that vein; might also check the baffles between the fuge and the return chamber; it may be clogged?

Also; it may help to just step back from it for a bit. Obviously don't leave the tank in a dire situation, but if things are stable and nothing is in danger of burning up or dying, then just take some time to recenter yourself. That alone may bring about the solution...

I use flexible tubing on my return so no valve to check there. I don’t think there’s a baffle between my fuge and return either. I’m very confused as to this happened because it was fine until I turned the return off and when it restarted the levels were all off. I can’t step away either because without the return pump moving water, the display will cool down because the heater is down there.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those sumps have such an odd flow pattern. I'd double check for some type of restriction/obstruction between the refugium and return compartment if the water does indeed go directly from one to the other. It seems the only logical explanation for the return pump to pull more water out than what the refugium can dump back in. Look for something blocking the flow physically or a filter pad that is full of detritus and restricting the flow.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water can only go up and fast as it comes down. Remember that. Make sure nothing is plugging the hose. Remove all filter pads and what not and let the water flow then add them back one by one until you find the problem. ALSO is your tank drilled? If not make sure heir is no bubble in the suction part of your return

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those sumps have such an odd flow pattern. I'd double check for some type of restriction/obstruction between the refugium and return compartment if the water does indeed go directly from one to the other. It seems the only logical explanation for the return pump to pull more water out than what the refugium can dump back in. Look for something blocking the flow physically or a filter pad that is full of detritus and restricting the flow.

The tank is pretty new so I don’t think buildup is the problem but I went ahead and removed every pad and my filter sock. Now that I’ve calmed down a bit I’ll rephrase. For some reason when the return pump is running, the level in the return chamber is slowly and consistently lowering while the refugium chamber is slowly and consistently rising and it doesn’t seem that there is a stopping point for it. I still have not fixed the problem and am starting to get worried about the temperature in the display as it’s dropped a few degrees.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out around 3:30 in this video... there seems to be a filter media tray that according to this video, if put in backwards, will disrupt the flow and make the return section drain faster than it should. Taking a wild guess, but hopefully, this might be your issue.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out around 3:30 in this video... there seems to be a filter media tray that according to this video, if put in backwards, will disrupt the flow and make the return section drain faster than it should. Taking a wild guess, but hopefully, this might be your issue.

Very strange, I haven’t turned the media tray in weeks and I checked and it was backwards. Turned it around and everything is fixed. Man of the hour award goes to you, I would never have found this out on my own LOL. My fish, corals and myself are very greatful. Enjoy this smile from my new Lineatus Wrasse [emoji4]
279a63d56b5aa010a201339dcdec86fc.jpg

Thank you so much!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back