Water Mixing

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking at building my own water mixing station. Just had a few quick question.

1) If I were to drill into the storage tank for the mixing return, how would I seal the hole? Silicone?

2) How do you put your heater in? Another hole? Or is there a in-pipe heater thats possible?

3) Lastly, with the way my stand is turning out, I won't have much room to pour salt into the salt mixing tank. Anybody have any good idea or suggestions on how to go about this?

My tanks are horizontal 35g tanks and i plan on stacking them vertically on a shelving unit.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) If I were to drill into the storage tank for the mixing return, how would I seal the hole? Silicone?

Use a bulkhead. Or a uniseal. What container are you planning on using?

2) How do you put your heater in? Another hole? Or is there a in-pipe heater thats possible?

I thread mine through a hole in the lid.

3) Lastly, with the way my stand is turning out, I won't have much room to pour salt into the salt mixing tank. Anybody have any good idea or suggestions on how to go about this?

Get a really big funnel made for some car repair purposes, or slide it along a board.

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a bulkhead. Or a uniseal. What container are you planning on using?

I thread mine through a hole in the lid.

Get a really big funnel made for some car repair purposes, or slide it along a board.

2x Norwesco 35g Horizontal leg tank

I have to admit I was thinking about a funnel. Lol. Uniseals also seem to be what I'm looking for. I am still stumped on how to do my heater in a neat manner without leaving the hole wide open.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Norwesco 35g Horizontal leg tank

I have to admit I was thinking about a funnel. Lol. Uniseals also seem to be what I'm looking for. I am still stumped on how to do my heater in a neat manner without leaving the hole wide open.

Try a large cable gland or grommet, something like this:

Edit: As a followup, you also have the option of cutting off the AC side of the heater and wiring it into a replacement plug, which will ease running the wire:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking about this. Is there any issues with running an empty pipe as a place to pour salt into? Like have it hard plumbed before the pump. Would that cause any pump problems? I was thinking having a cap on to stop just normal debris from falling in when not in use.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, no. I’m not sure I’d feed it straight into the pump inlet however (though for how occasionally it would see salt I doubt anything bad would happen)

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt going to feed it directly to inlet though maybe a few inches depending on how my plumbing turns out.

Was just an idle thought! I dun wanna put a bunch of holes in my storage tank lol

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a 1.5" uniseal with a small stubb of pipe sticking out, just long enough for a cap. then with a removable 1.5" cap you can then drill the cap to fit a cord . then cut your heater cord... then remake your cord end thru the cap into your tank then silicon the cord. would something like this work?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back