Water parameters question

dolphan99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 180 gl fresh water cichlid tank. Been loosing fish . Had my well water tested. Have a high chloride level. Wondering if I convert to salt are the fish less or more affected by chloride

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically want your water as pure as possible. You'll want to buy a RO/DI unit and may have to also buy a pump to run it more efficiently since you use well water. So, short answer, saltwater animals are usually more sensitive to water parameters than freshwater.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*1 converting to salt means you need pristine water to mix with sat. Anything else will cause you a huge mess with bad algae’s, fish and coral health at much more expensive costs. I’d look into what you can do to remove the chloride before it goes into your freshwater tank. You don’t want the full on rodi filtration you’d need for a salt tank bc then you would have to dose elements back into the freshwater tank to keep up fish health. (I’ve tried it.) see if there is a water conditioner or additive or 1 step water filter they would help.

danp01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for salt water you need a RODI. chloide is a simple and easy way to maintain calcium levels in a small tank, but you will need to test for calcium and alkalinity

OP
OP
D

dolphan99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*1 converting to salt means you need pristine water to mix with sat. Anything else will cause you a huge mess with bad algae’s, fish and coral health at much more expensive costs. I’d look into what you can do to remove the chloride before it goes into your freshwater tank. You don’t want the full on rodi filtration you’d need for a salt tank bc then you would have to dose elements back into the freshwater tank to keep up fish health. (I’ve tried it.) see if there is a water conditioner or additive or 1 step water filter they would help.
Believe me I've tried to find something. Only thing I've been told is reverse osmosis. Was going to keep fresh water but would require system mounted in basement where I could collect the "clean" water and remove waste as well. Been a fish tank enthusiast for 30 yrs. This chloride issue has affected me for a little over a year. I attribute this to run off from road salt etc. Don't want to stop but may have no choice

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just do an ro unit then but you may need to dose elements back into the tank. I did an rodi freshwater tank for a month or so (thinking getting all the dissolved solids out of the water would be beneficial) and it was bad for the fish and ended in losses. If you are considering salt water in your future you can get a whole rodi unit and just remove some of the filters or just run the whole thing but plan on dosing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back