0   0   0
My water parameters are
Mg:1360
Ca:460
Alk:6.4
Ph:8.2
Nitrite:0.05
Nitrate :10
The tank has been ruining for around a year. It is a 37 gallon tall tank. My corals are not growing at all. What could it be?

Last edited:

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean phosphate and not nitrite?
your alkalinity is pretty low. Try to raise it up to 7 with a goal of hitting 8 down the line. Mag and calcium is a bit high, but we don’t know what type of coral, flow, or lighting you have.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean phosphate and not nitrite?
your alkalinity is pretty low. Try to raise it up to 7 with a goal of hitting 8 down the line. Mag and calcium is a bit high, but we don’t know what type of coral, flow, or lighting you have.
I have fluval marine lights 32w. The coral I have are Zoas, candy cane coral, hammer and a btp.

image.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fluval marine lights 32w. The coral I have are Zoas, candy cane coral, hammer and a btp.

image.jpg
Not growing at all??
Pictures?
With your numbers, they should be.
My guess, with what you gave us to work with, would be the lights.
You have had all the coral for a year?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is a little low .
try bringing up to 7.5-8 gradually over time.

As mentioned above . A picture is worth 1000 words .
What’s your salinity and what lights are you using ?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct levels of phosphate are required for all corals, too little, they starve, too high they brown out and growth is slowed.

What’s you phosphate running at?

Alks to low IMM.

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Phosphate.
Get some micro nutritions, thats most of the time my macroalgaes won't grow, iron and missing phosphate, should be the same for corals.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say you have a tall tank. How tall is it? Like what was said it may be your lighting, not sufficient for a tall tank. We need to know you phosphate numbers.

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 22 inches tall, but I do not have a phosphate test.
May consider to get one, it is important.
And get some Po4 Freshwater Fertilizer, often cheaper, or any other stuff where you are only dosing po4 without No3 or anything else

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water parameters are
Mg:1360
Ca:460
Alk:6.4
Ph:8.2
Nitrite:0.05
Nitrate :10
The tank has been ruining for around a year. It is a 37 gallon tall tank. My corals are not growing at all. What could it be?
Personally I run my mag and cal & alk a little higher. Mag levels around 1500 and cal is just under 500.. alk is 10. I also have a pretty heavily stocked tank of euphil and acros. It really just depends what corals you have...

What colors do you have and what lights do you run? also the schedule & %%%.?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 22 inches tall, but I do not have a phosphate test.
That is taller than the height of my lights, I have my lights set 4" above the water, 20" from substrate. So my tank height is about 16". Your lights are not strong enough, the minimum I think should be 90 watts. Your light only puts out 32 watts.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I run my mag and cal & alk a little higher. Mag levels around 1500 and cal is just under 500.. alk is 10. I also have a pretty heavily stocked tank of euphil and acros. It really just depends what corals you have...

What colors do you have and what lights do you run? also the schedule & %%%.?
I run the same parameters as (reefah) for several years now and my corals are fine.

moryan86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my tank is over 3 months old and I have a red squirrel fish and an angel coral beauty fish along with some inverts and one hermit crab. I have no corals and live rocks with 80 lbs of live sand and no matter what my ammonia won’t drop below .25 ppm on my api master saltwater test kit but on my seachem alert test it shows there is <0.02 which is safe what can be the cause I change the water and feed sparingly see picture. I am at a complete loss as my nitrites stay at 0 all the time and my nitrates have hit 40 ppm before but after water changes it always goes down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 24

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my tank is over 3 months old and I have a red squirrel fish and an angel coral beauty fish along with some inverts and one hermit crab. I have no corals and live rocks with 80 lbs of live sand and no matter what my ammonia won’t drop below .25 ppm on my api master saltwater test kit but on my seachem alert test it shows there is <0.02 which is safe what can be the cause I change the water and feed sparingly see picture. I am at a complete loss as my nitrites stay at 0 all the time and my nitrates have hit 40 ppm before but after water changes it always goes down.
That's the problem, rubbish test kits.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem, rubbish test kits.

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the previous post, Go Hanna if funds permit, Salifert are a good choice if not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back